Monday, June 8, 2009

Cheese & Garlic Biscuits

Recently I was given a large block of cheddar cheese. A very large block. So I have been searching for recipes that require cheddar cheese in order to use up all the cheese.  I came across a delicious and easy cheese biscuit recipe on allrecipes.com, submitted by Brenda.  The original recipe can be found here.

The recipe is so quick to whip up and taste very similar to the cheese biscuits served at Red Lobster.   I made some modifications to the original recipe.  I put in a lot more cheese than the recipe called for (I need to get rid of all the cheese!), and less butter than the recipe called for (since the butter is only used to be brushed on at the end).  Even with all the extra cheese I used, I didn't think the cheese taste was overwhelming in the biscuit.  Here is my modified recipe:

Serving: Recipe makes approximately ten biscuits.

Ingredients

• 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/8 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

To shred the cheese, I used my food processor. It was amazing how quickly it shredded my cheese!

IMG_0540

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

2. Combine bisquick, milk and cheddar cheese in mixing bowl. Mix with
    wooden spoon till soft dough forms.
    IMG_0542

3. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown.

4. Mix melted butter and garlic powder and brush over warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheet.

9 Responses to “Cheese & Garlic Biscuits”

JaneDoughnut — June 9, 2009 @ 11:07 am

I’ve been making these for years. They are always a big hit and no one ever guesses they are made with a baking mix!

Cookie — June 9, 2009 @ 3:46 pm

I LOVE the biscuits at Red Lobster! Do these make a lot of biscuits and are they still good reheated? I ask because there are only 2 of us in the house and we can only eat so many biscuits in 1 sitting no matter how good they are.

Kirbie — June 9, 2009 @ 3:58 pm

Hi Cookie- Oops. I forgot to include that info. The recipe as written makes about 10 biscuits. If you reheat them, I recommend doing so in the oven or toaster oven.

Kirbie — June 9, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

JaneDoughnut- I wish I had discovered this recipe earlier! So simple and yummy.

joanh — June 10, 2009 @ 3:48 am

looks easy and delicious! i’ll have to try it when i get back to LA. haven’t had Red Lobster in SO long

Carol — June 11, 2009 @ 8:43 am

I haven’t made cheesy Bisquick biscuit in ages. I could never get the extra cheesiness either but I had a version that a friend made using the cheese powder from Kraft mac and cheese to enhance the cheese flavor. It was really good, better than the original Bisquick recipe.

Kirbie — June 15, 2009 @ 9:05 am

joanh- hope you like the recipe!

Kirbie — June 15, 2009 @ 9:06 am

Carol- Interesting on the mac and cheese powder. I’ll have to try it out some time.

World Spinner — October 28, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

Cheese & Garlic Biscuits | Kirbie's Cravings…

Here at World Spinner we are debating the same thing……