Monday, September 7, 2009

One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream

A few weeks ago, I read an article on Serious Eats for a one ingredient banana ice cream recipe.  The recipe caught my eye of course.  How could one ingredient turn into ice cream?  The one ingredient, is of course, frozen bananas.  Apparently once frozen, and then put in a food processor, bananas have a texture and taste of ice cream.

The recipe is so easy, I couldn't resist testing it out.  I immediately bought some bananas, stuck them in the freezer, and then this past weekend, popped them into my food processor.  I was amazed.  It did taste like ice cream! Once blended, the bananas take on a creamy texture, so the taste is like a banana ice cream.  Very rich in banana flavor.  And so healthy!  Who would have thought there is such thing as a guilt free ice cream treat? Perfect to make one such a hot day too.

After blending it in the food processor, I stuck it in the freezer for about an hour so that it would firm up.  I recommend using a food processor instead of a blender to mix the frozen banana.  The blender makes it too liquidy- at least mine does.

8 Responses to “One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream”

Niki — September 8, 2009 @ 5:33 am

That is so interesting!!!! I have to try this. Do you think it would still work if I added another fruit to it or even dark chocolate shavings or something?

Kirbie — September 8, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

I honestly have no idea. I would think chocolate should be fine. I’m not sure if enough fruit would make the mixture too liquidy? Let me know if you have any success! I might try adding some variations next time too.

joanh — September 15, 2009 @ 6:42 pm

really?? huh! I guess I do like frozen bananas on a stick, so making it as “ice cream” should be good too.

Kirbie — September 16, 2009 @ 10:09 am

it’s pretty tasty!

Matt — April 2, 2010 @ 9:05 am

What an ingenious idea! I need to set a few bananas aside and make this ASAP. Thanks for sharing it on FaveDiets.

Kirbie — April 2, 2010 @ 9:37 am

You’re welcome. I wonder what other frozen fruits I can turn into ice cream. =)

dental health center — May 13, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

It is a delicious snack, rich in vitamins, low in calories and low in salt. The only requirement is to eat that is mature, and be careful not to mix with certain drugs.

Yogurt Ice Cream Maker - The best home made Ice-cream in the world ever — March 3, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

[...] One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream | Kirbie's Cravings [...]