Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pumpkin mochi

For Thanksgiving, I'm in charge of desserts.  It's a challenge to find desserts enjoyable to all so I usually do quite a few desserts.  For a number of years, I struggled to find desserts enjoyable for my parents, aunts and uncles.  They often complain that normal desserts are too sweet.  A lot of them also don't like the taste of cinnamon.  A lot of traditional Thanksgiving desserts are sweet and have cinnamon.

Two years ago, I went to a Thanksgiving potluck, and this girl I knew brought pumpkin mochi.  As soon as I tasted it, I knew I had a perfect dessert for all the adults that wanted something less sweet, without cinnamon.  And the best part is that it is the perfect blend of my chinese culture with the Thanksgiving holiday, which is very much how we celebrate Thanksgiving.

The recipe is so simple too! I've made several different other types of mochi such as blueberry mochi, strawberry mochi and cherry mochi.  The pumpkin one is a bit different.  It uses condensed milk instead of evaporated milk.  The pumpkin mochi tastes like mochi with pumpkin flavor.  If you prefer something with a pumpkin spice taste, I've seen variations of this recipe with pumpkin spices or nutmeg added to produce a more spice taste.

Ingredients

29 oz can Pumpkin puree
14 oz can Sweetened condensed milk
1 Cup of butter melted
4 Eggs, beaten
2 tsp Vanilla
1 lb box Mochiko-sweet rice flour
2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp Baking powder

Directions

1. In a medium bowl mix mochiko flour, baking powder.

2. In a large bowl mix all the other ingredients. Then add the dry ingredients.

3. Pour into a greased 13 by 9 inch baking dish.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Allow the cake to cool completely for a few hours before cutting and serving.

16 Responses to “Pumpkin mochi”

cinnamonquill — October 22, 2009 @ 6:50 am

Seriously, brilliant! You have made the most creative mochi variations. I’m going to check out the cherry one, as well!

Kirbie — October 22, 2009 @ 9:16 am

Thanks! Though I can’t take all the credit. If I never tasted it at the potluck, I wouldn’t have thought to make it myself. It’s become a big hit in my family.

incrediblecrunchyflavor — October 22, 2009 @ 2:09 pm

this is great! i have become obsessed with mochi since my (asian) boyfriend introduced me to to it years ago. i’m definitely going to try this!
    htpp://incrediblecrunchyflavor.com

joan — October 26, 2009 @ 3:33 am

i totally thought condensed milk and evaporated milk were interchangable. now i know it’s not! i’ll have to try this sometime- all the adults love this sort of dessert

Kirbie — October 26, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

It’s super easy to make too, which is what I love about it!

Kirbie — October 26, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

haha. I used to think so also, but they are quite different. Condensed milk is super sweet and thick. If you use condensed milk when baking, you use a lot less sugar.

Myrnie — October 28, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

That looks AMAZING! (Here from photograzing.)

Kirbie — October 29, 2009 @ 10:49 am

Thanks! I hope you have a chance to try it out

Rachel — February 21, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

I tried your pumpkin mochi recipe and it was a hit with my family. Thank you. Just blogged about it on the Crispy Cook.

Kirbie — February 22, 2010 @ 9:40 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Jackie — June 18, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

Wow, you have such a variety of mochi recipes- it’s great! My family complains a lot about desserts being too sweet too. I was wondering though, using the 14 oz condensed milk and the two cups of sugar.. the mochi didn’t turn out too sweet?

Kirbie — June 21, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

It does sound really sweet. But it’s not. I double checked the recipe to make sure I didn’t make a mistake. My other mochi recipes don’t have condensed milk and sugar, but I think you need the extra sweetness from the condensed milk to counteract all the pumpkin filling which isn’t sweet at all.

Jackie — August 9, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I finally got to making this and like you said, the condensed milk does wonderfully to counteract the pumpkin filling. It turned out great! Thank you so much for the recipe! Definitely a keeper =D

Chicken Nugget Toe » Blog Archive » Holiday Happenings » Chicken Nugget Toe — June 9, 2011 @ 10:31 am

[...] 2. 1st Annual DMT Bake-Off Quite possibly a new DMT tradition. I made pumpkin mochi with a recipe forwarded by a couple of lovely friends from church and came in 2nd place. There are a few mochi recipes that can be found online but I used the one found at Kirbie Cravings. [...]

Terra — October 25, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Can I use normal rice flour? I can’t find this sweet rice flour anywhere. Am I looking in the wrong places?

• Kirbie replied: — October 25th, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

You need to use sweet glutinous rice flour. In Japanese stores there is a brand called Mochiko. It’s a small box. Or in chinese stores, they sell them in small bags and they are labeled sweet glutinous rice flour. I’ve also seen the Mochiko one sold at American grocery stores, usually in the ethnic food aisle.