Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Modern French Macarons

Opera Cafe & Patisserie
9254 Scranton Rd
San Diego, CA 92121
(858) 458-9050

www.operapatisserie.com

During my previous visit to Opera Patisserie I had inquired about their modern macarons which I had seen on their website. I was told they didn't have any that day and actually hadn't had them for a while.  The modern macarons had caught my attention because of the beautiful colors and the flavors:pistachio and raspberry; passion fruit and coconut; margarita and key lime; chocolate and cappuccino; and pecan caramel and cinnamon.

On a recent visit to Opera, I was surprised to see the modern macarons in their dessert display.  Of course I had to get some! One box is $10 and contains two of each flavor.  The outside was crispy and delicate and the inside was slightly chewy.

The flavor combinations worked well.  I wasn't sure about how some of them would work out but I liked them all.  And I like the designs on the macarons. One of these days I'm going to take on the challenge of making my own macarons.

13 Responses to “Modern French Macarons”

Sandy — January 6, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Those macarons are almost too pretty to eat! How many were in the box?
    I haven’t heard the word modern for macarons; is it because these are decorated, rather than plain?
    Trader Joes has a macarons in their freezer section; I think there’s 1 dozen and in two flavors (vanilla and chocolate). They were pretty good, but I’ll bet they’re not as good as the ones from Opera

Sandy — January 6, 2010 @ 8:54 am

I guess if I had looked at their website first, I would have found out that the classic are the “plain” (non-decorated) ones.
    My friend sayas she has made them, and while they’re not too difficult, it was a bit tricky. I told her that I’d be happy to be her tester :-)

sawyer — January 6, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

i’ve never had these before, but i’ve seen plenty of posts about these mack ah rons (is that how you pronounce it?) please give it a shot soon, so i can try it out myself, using ur recipe =) they’re very pretty looking

Kirbie — January 6, 2010 @ 6:08 pm

I think the modern is meant to describe the flavors. The “classics” are the flavors most commonly found. You’re lucky to know a friend who makes them!

Kirbie — January 6, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

There were 12 in a box. And yes, definitely almost too pretty to eat! I kept almost hoping one would crack or break so I wouldn’t have to destroy a perfect one. Oh and I have tried the Trader Joe’s ones. I love how cheap they are. But yeah, not as many flavors and I’m a bit impatient about waiting for them to thaw.

Kirbie — January 6, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

I love eating these because they have a slightly chewy middle. I’ve been wanting to try to make them for some time, but am a bit scared to try. I’ve read a lot of failure stories. Heh. But I’m determined to give it a try soon and I’ll definitely post about it! I’m not positive about the pronounciation, but it sounds right to me!

Dina — January 9, 2010 @ 11:14 am

i love French macaroons. would love to try these interesting flavors!

Kirbie — January 10, 2010 @ 11:53 pm

The flavors were quite yummy!

Annapet — January 16, 2010 @ 7:24 am

San Diegan here! Cool to see your photo on TasteSpotting. I, too, love macarons and enjoy each macaron adventure.

Kirbie — January 19, 2010 @ 10:48 am

Wow, you have so many macaron recipes on your site. I’m definitely going to try some of them out!

Annapet — August 9, 2010 @ 11:18 pm

I experiment constantly. =)

Kirbie — August 10, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

Oh I’m so glad you commented. I finally recently started making macarons and now have been in search for lots of recipes to try. Your site has so many recipes! Can’t wait to try some of them.

Moonglowgardens — August 18, 2010 @ 11:13 pm

I was in La Jolla a week ago to hang out with my niece to do another macaron demo. I hope you have started experimenting. I am behind posting my weekly macaron adventures! When I get back home I’ll post them.
    Have fun baking!