I made dumplings a few weeks ago and froze the leftovers.  You can read my post and recipe on homemade dumplings here.  With my leftover frozen dumplings, I made some pot stickers (guo tie)

Pot stickers are one of those dishes that seem universally loved by all.  I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t like pot stickers.  When I was little, my mom would always make them for events I went to.  My friends were always begging my mom to make them.

There are different methods to make pot stickers. The way I make them is as follows: I take a large frying pan.  I heat the pan up with some oil on high heat.  Once the pan is heated, I put the dumplings in while frozen.  Then I add some water and cover the pan with a lid. This allows the dumplings to cook, while also frying the bottom of the dumplings.  When the water evaporates, you should be able to get a nice sear on the bottom of your dumplings from the pan.  The end result is a chewy, crunchy skin.  Yum!

8 Responses to “Pot stickers”

1. tigerfish — March 5, 2010 at 12:42 am

I have been thinking to buy some gyoza skins to make these but I can’t believe I cannot buy gyoza skins in my nearest supermarket! They only have wonton and sui kow skins….I wonder if they will work?

2. Carol — March 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

Yum yum yum yum! You’re tempting me to make some this weekend. Gwah I love pot stickers!

3. Kirbie — March 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

That’s weird that you can’t find gyoza/pot sticker skins…I see them everywhere now. Even at the American supermarket chains. Wonton skins might be too thin? I’ve never tried pan frying with them.

4. Kirbie — March 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

Me too! Normally I’ll eaten maybe 10 dumplings. But if it’s pot stickers…I’ll keep eating them until there is nothing left…The crunchy skin is so yummy.

5. Faye — March 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

I love the crunchy skin too! You’ve inspired me to have a Dumpling party w/ my friends. I’m going to do that b/c I figured it’ll be easier (and fun) if everyone can help chop and fold stuff!!

6. Cookie — March 5, 2010 at 3:14 pm

My mom always makes a big batch of Wontons and freeze them for a quick meal. I’ll have to make these for her and see if she likes them!

7. Kirbie — March 8, 2010 at 11:55 am

It definitely is easier and more fun to have a dumpling party! I used to throw one every year

8. Kirbie — March 8, 2010 at 11:56 am

I hope you and your mom like these!