Friday, April 30, 2010

Sushi Gen

Sushi Gen
422 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

(213) 617-0552

Boyfriend and I found ourselves in LA during lunchtime on a weekday. It was the perfect opportunity for us to visit Sushi Gen, a place I'd be wanting to visit for a long time. Sushi Gen is a small sushi joint that is quite popular. Even at 1:30 on a weekday there was a wait.

I was surprised that the staff was mostly not japanese. The restaurant has a long sushi bar, and then some small tables. I didn't have my camera on me, so we had to rely on camera phones.

During lunch, they have a sashimi special. For $15, you get a plate of
various sashimi, soup, cucumber salad, a tofu appetizer, and rice. $15!
I couldn't believe it. Where can you get something like that in San
Diego?  So I chose to get the sashimi special.

I really liked the tofu. It was warm and had a light soy sauce based sauce. The fish pieces were served on a bed of edible cooked seaweed pieces. There was even toro included.There was also some cooked squid and a piece of grilled salmon.

Boyfriend ordered the sashimi deluxe.  This seemed more appropriate for a dinner, but it was something I had read about that I knew he would like and since we had come so far, it was one of the few opportunities we would have to try it. The Sashimi delux is $30, and has quite a few items not included in the lunch special such as clams, octopus, anchovies, salmon and some other fish I don't remember which ones.

Now I know why this place is so popular. I wish we had something like this in San Diego.

7 Responses to “Sushi Gen”

Carol — April 30, 2010 @ 8:44 pm

Everything looks so good! This has been on our list to try for when we do a longer trip up to LA. Just haven’t found the time to make the trip yet.

Kirbie — May 3, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

I hope you get a chance to go soon! I love LA food trips. So many places, so little time.

Rosa — May 5, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Yet another sushi joint for me to try!

Kirbie — May 5, 2010 @ 9:41 am

There’s so many sushi joints in Little Tokyo! I want to try them all. You’re lucky to live closer to them all. Sushi Gen is definitely great. Esp lunch, if you can make it then!

Rosa — May 5, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

You would think living in the same city, we’d go more often but I’ve only been to Little Tokyo twice since moving here in 2008! Husband doesn’t eat sushi but if they have teriyaki and he’s in the mood for it, I can get him to go with me so I can get my “sushi therapy”. I still haven’t tried any ramen places yet, either!

Kirbie — May 6, 2010 @ 10:25 am

*gasp* only twice? and no ramen yet either? I think they should have teriyaki chicken..not positive though.

Sushi Gen | Online REL — November 15, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

[...] Sushi Gen, a place I'd be wanting to … Continue reading → Continue reading here: Sushi GenKirbie’s Cravings » Sushi [...]