My quest to find my perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe continued this past weekend when I tried out Alton Brown's recipe called "The Chewy."  I've seen his recipe quite a few times floating around on other blogs. I was intrigued by the use of bread flour rather than all purpose flour. I also liked that I only needed to refrigerate the recipe for a few hours rather than overnight or over several days. I just don't have that kind of patience or fridge space.

The recipe was pretty simple to put together. After the dough was refrigerated, it was much easier to scoop out and mold. I liked that this recipe made big cookies. The cookies stayed puffy and thick and came out looking pretty nice. Some of the recipes I've tried, I feel like the cookies are quite ugly.

I found this recipe to be pretty tasty. I like how thick the cookie is. This recipe is definitely a keeper unless I find something better.

Alton Brown's The Chewy Chocolate chip cookies

Ingredients

• 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

2. Pour
the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown
sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk,
2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in
the chocolate chips.

3. Chill the dough (about 2 hours), then scoop onto
parchment-lined baking sheets, using an ice cream scoop, 6 cookies per sheet. Cookies should be quite large if you are using a regular ice cream scooper. Preheat oven to 375 F. Bake for 14 minutes
or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the
baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an
airtight container.

11 Responses to “Alton Brown’s “The Chewy””

1. Liz — May 27, 2010 at 10:04 am

These cookies look scrumptious. Too bad I’m jumping back onto South Beach though. I’ll have to remember to revisit this recipe.

2. Liz — May 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

3. Liz — May 27, 2010 at 10:15 am

Silly me. I must have accidentally submitted my comment twice.

4. Kirbie — May 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Hehe, it’s okay. It happens to me a lot, when I think the comment hasn’t gone through. So many people going on diets lately. I don’t have the willpower to stick to one…Maybe if I gave up reading and writing a food blog.

5. Michelle — May 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Umm… haha mine looked SO MUCH different than these, how funny! I think I did something horribly wrong, oh well they were delicious none the less. Yours look awesome!

6. Heather — May 30, 2010 at 8:35 pm

These are very, very good. Since we have a need to make them gluten free, I made a couple quick changes/additions.
    Instead of flour, substitute:
    2/3 c rice flour
    2/3 c tapioca flour
    2/3 c corn starch
    1/4 c sweet sorghum flour
    and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum.

7. Kirbie — June 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm

The only thing I could think of was that maybe your dough was refrigerated long enough. But it looks like you got some suggestions on your comments. Yours look good too, just different. As long as the taste is the same!

8. Kirbie — June 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Thanks. This is great for readers who want to make them gluten free.

9. Pingback: Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip cookies | Kirbie Cravings

10. Cherry — October 30, 2012 at 6:35 am

Is there anyway to substitute the butter? Like yogurt or oil? Do you know if that’s gonna change the texture of the cookies? :)

• Kirbie replied: — October 30th, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Unfortunately that will definitely change the texture of these cookies.