A few weeks ago, I somehow stumbled across a website, where someone was talking about making their own taiyakis, which are a japanese pancake-type snack shaped like fish and usually containing a sweet filling in the middle. I didn't even know it was possible to get your own taiyaki maker!

So on my next shopping trip, I was on the lookout for a taiyaki maker, and sure enough, I found it at the Marukai Living. Of course, once I bought the maker, I had to figure out how to use it. I found a couple websites that offered taiyaki recipes and instructions on how to cook with your taiyaki maker.

I enjoy taiyakis because  they are fish shaped. You can buy ready made frozen ones at japanese markets, but they never taste as good as the ones that come out piping hot from the vendors. I've seen the taiyakis filled with red bean paste, chocolate and custard. I thought it would be fun to add nutella in mine.

I chose to use a recipe I found at The Anime Blog because it gave such detailed instructions on how to make the taiyaki using your own taiyaki maker. It ended up being kind of tricky. Our first batch burned. Some of ours had too much batter, some too little. Sometimes the nutella leaked through the pancake.

To use the taiyaki maker, you put it on your stove, as it has no independent heat source. You spoon some batter in and some filling and then you close up your taiyaki maker. You let it sit for about a minute and then you need to flip it so that it cooks evenly on both sides.

I found that this batter didn't taste that much like the one I'm used to. I don't know if we overmixed the batter though because we weren't sure if we were supposed to use a mixer or not. It felt tough..I didn't have too much time to fiddle with this first attempt.  I'm going to try out some other batter recipes and play around with this a little.  I might also try using some pancake mixes because I've read that they
work well. I also hope to use my taiyaki maker to make other cool looking snacks.

12 Responses to “Taiyaki with nutella”

1. caninecologne — May 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm

hi k – great choice of filling! love the fish shape too.

2. Kirbie — May 4, 2010 at 9:45 am

I wish the fish were smiling. They seem to be frowning. hehe

3. Faye — May 4, 2010 at 10:40 am

O.M.G!!! This would be THE best thing ever!! I’ve had the ones filled w/ red bean as well. Not a big fan of red bean but AM a HUGE fan of nutella! I hope you post your recipe for this soon. How much was the taiyaki maker?

4. Rosa — May 5, 2010 at 8:29 am

I saw that taiyaki maker at a Korean store in Ktown and was confused by what it was. I thought maybe it was for pancakes or omelettes. Now I know and wish I got it as I love taiyaki as well and get the store bought ones which, as you said, are never quite as good.
    Nutella…mmmm. I love how grumpy the fish look, though. I think I may have to get it the next time I go to K-town and try it out!

5. Kirbie — May 5, 2010 at 9:30 am

I’m not a huge fan of the red bean filled ones, which is why I thought of nutella. I might also try making one with chocolate. The taiyaki maker was only $20! Hopefully I have time to try some more recipes this weekend. I’ve heard regular pancake mix works as well.

6. Kirbie — May 5, 2010 at 9:31 am

You should definitely get one! I justified the expense with the fact that I can make other fish shaped things too. Hehee

7. Rosa — May 5, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hrmmm… And I do have room to store it… :D I think fish shaped omelettes (or okonomiyaki!!!) would be awesome.

8. Kirbie — May 6, 2010 at 10:26 am

I never thought of fish shaped omelettes. Sounds yummy. And it is pretty small =)

9. Pingback: Taiyaki (fish shaped pancakes) revisited | Kirbie Cravings

10. Pingback: Taiyaki with nutella | Online REL

11. Komadori — November 21, 2010 at 4:01 pm

There’s also a cheese taiyaki, here in Japan. It’s kind of like marscapone or somewhere between cream cheese and brie, that’s been sweetened. Pretty tasty. So I bet you’d be good to try the spreadable flavored cream cheese that you use for bagels with good results. :)

I really wish they’d do kabocha filled taiyaki. I bet it’d be really tasty. Or walnut pie filling.

• Kirbie replied: — November 21st, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

Mmm, the cheese one sounds good. I think I’ll try making one next time with mascarpone. A kobacha one sounds like a really great idea! I love kobacha.