Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blueberry Boy Bait

I love desserts with an interesting name or story. In my blueberry baking frenzy this weekend, I came across this recipe for Blueberry Boy Bait from Brown Eyed Baker.  The recipe was entered into a Pillsbury Bake-off contest in 1954 by a 15 year old girl and was named this because it was the effect boys had when they ate her dessert.  One bite and they were hooked! I wondered if the cake would have a similar effect on Boyfriend…

The cake tasted a bit like a coffee cake, but not quite as dense or sweet. I enjoyed the sugary cinnamony crust and the taste of blueberries in the batter.  The cake was pretty simple to put together. I don’t know if I hooked Boyfriend with this cake, but it hooked me! I would definitely make this cake again to bring to a potluck or party.

Blueberry Boy Bait (from Brown Eyed Baker)

Print this recipe

For the Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 cup whole milk
½ cup blueberries

For the Topping:
½ cup blueberries
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1. For the Cake: Adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13×9-inch baking pan.

2. Whisk 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt together in a
medium bowl; set aside. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and
sugars together on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add
eggs, one at a time, beating until just incorporated. Reduce speed to
medium and beat in one-third of the flour mixture until incorporated;
beat in half of the milk. Beat in half of the remaining flour mixture,
then remaining milk, and finally remaining flour mixture. Toss the
blueberries with remaining 1 teaspoon flour. Using a rubber spatula,
gently fold in blueberries. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.

3. For the Topping:
Scatter the blueberries over top of the batter. Stir the sugar and
cinnamon together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the batter.

4. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 45 to
50 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes, then turn out and place on serving
platter (topping side up). Serve warm or at room temperature. (Cake can
be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3
days.)

15 Responses to “Blueberry Boy Bait”

tigerfish — June 15, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

Before you mentioned about coffee cake, I saw the first photo and immediately thought of the famous blueberry coffee cake near where I used to live. :)

ldh — June 15, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Hello! Isn’t this a delicious cake? I have been making it for twenty+ years. I posted the recipe here:
    Nice stopping by to visit with you!
    Kindly, ldh

Carolyn Jung — June 15, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

That IS a great name. I’m sure it baited your boyfriend, too. He just doesn’t want to admit it. ;)

Kirbie — June 16, 2010 @ 11:46 am

It does look a bit like coffee cake!

Kirbie — June 16, 2010 @ 11:51 am

I enjoyed this cake a lot! Will definitely be making it again. Yours is pretty with the powdered sugar on top!

Kirbie — June 16, 2010 @ 11:51 am

The name was what really intrigued me.

tia @ buttercreambarbie.blogspot.com — June 16, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

I tried this but it didn’t turn out so well for me… was kinda heavy… yours looks great though.

Kirbie — June 17, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

That’s too bad you didn’t like yours.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — June 23, 2010 @ 10:08 am

Your cake looks absolutely gorgeous! Love your photos. So glad you and your boyfriend enjoyed the cake! Hopefully it baited him :)

Kirbie — June 23, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

Your cake was so pretty too! Thanks so much for providing me with the recipe! Boyfriend didn’t say much about the cake, but he did eat almost the entire thing…heehee

Kathleen — June 24, 2010 @ 10:50 am

I saw this recipe and I HAD to make it! I love blueberries, but not by themselves – I make Blueberry Pancakes religiously. I used the whole pint of blueberries, I just couldn’t stop at a cup; the cake is in the oven right now and it’s all I can do to stay patient and wait for the timer to count down the last 20 minutes of baking time. Thanks for sharing this recipe, the cake hasn’t even come out of the oven and I’m already drooling!

Kirbie — June 25, 2010 @ 9:32 am

I hope you enjoyed it! I love blueberry pancakes. Going to whip up some this weekend now that my new griddle is here.

peter ojo — February 25, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

wow my big mouth is watering now help me i need more of it now now

Zana@GreenGlobalTravel — April 6, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

Haha that’s a cute story. But they do say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach! And I must say this looks delicious! I especially love blueberries.

• Kirbie replied: — April 7th, 2014 @ 9:16 am