After discovering that I can pipe chocolate ganache into a frosting, I spent some time practicing frosting cupcakes with chocolate ganache. I used Hershey's chocolate cake recipe for the cupcakes. For the frosting, I used a dark chocolate to make the ganache. The combination was intensely chocolate. A little too sweet for me, but probably perfect for chocolate lovers.
I saw some recipes recently for chocolate cupcakes that were similar to these, but also included a chocolate filling inside the cupcake. I like chocolate, but I don't think I could handle that much chocolate. I think maybe I might cut down on the amount of frosting I pipe on these next time.
Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting
For the cupcakes:
Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (natural)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt
in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of
mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour
batter into prepared pans.
3. Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in
diameter) with paper bake cups. Fill cups 2/3 full
with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz dark chocolate, chopped
1. Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Be careful to not let it boil over. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
2. Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
3. Let ganache cool and set before putting it in a piping bag and frosting cupcakesYum