Friday, June 25, 2010

Coconut Ice Cream

I made this coconut ice cream from David Lebovitz' recipe (minus the saffron threads) a while back and really enjoyed it. It was so simple to make. I love coconut and this ice cream is rich and creamy and full of coconut flavor.

Just writing this post makes me wish I hadn't eaten it all this weekend. I've been trying to make good use of my ice cream maker, making at least one recipe a week. I still have a lot I want to try, but the coconut one was so good, I had to go back to it before trying out new recipes.

Coconut Ice Cream (adapted from David Lebovitz's recipe)

Ingredients

1 1/3 cup heavy cream
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup cane sugar

Directions
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil.

2. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for ten minutes, stirring
occasionally. Remove from heat, and chill the mixture thoroughly. (I put mine in the freezer until it was cold to speed things up)

3. Once chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the
manufacturer's directions.

10 Responses to “Coconut Ice Cream”

Liz — June 26, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I’m a fan of coconut too. Sounds perfect for summertime :)

Sophia — June 28, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

This looks so rich and delicious! Summer really is all about ice cream!! I’m planning on making http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/chocolate_chip_cookie_ice_cream_cake.htm this weekend. Or if I’m in the mood for coconut, maybe I’ll try yours! Thanks for sharing!

Kirbie — June 29, 2010 @ 9:35 am

It is a perfect summer treat. And so easy if you have coconut milk laying around.

Kirbie — June 29, 2010 @ 9:41 am

I love ice cream all year round, but definitely during summer. =)

Carly — July 4, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

This sounds and LOOks so delicious and creamy! I just made fudgesicles today, will see how they turn out and might try this! I do love creamy coconut desserts and what better than ice cream in this summer heat!! =)
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kirbie — July 7, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Every time I see this post, I want ice cream. Haha. Fudgesicles sound delicious too. I hope you try this recipe out.

Lizzie in Los Angeles — February 9, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

I took this up a notch by adding toasted coconut and hoo-boy was it great.

Lizzie in Los Angeles — February 9, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

Added some toasted coconut, fantastic.

Lizzie in Los Angeles — February 9, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Sorry, didn’t mean to “double-post” …..

• Kirbie replied: — February 9th, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

What a great idea. Next time I’ll try adding some toasted coconut as well.