Giant Blueberry muffin tops
Like many people, my favorite part of the muffin is the muffin top. I knew that there existed muffin top pans, but for some reason I didn't think to buy one until recently. I bought the Chicago Metallic Original Muffin Top Pan.
I was a little surprised by the size of the muffin tops when my pan came. Basically, it spreads an entire muffin into a muffin top. I thought I would just have a bunch of small muffin tops.
Spreading a regular-sized muffin and spreading it into a muffin top makes the muffin top look huge. I kinda wish they were regular sized. It was a bit weird to eat a muffin top without the bottoms. I think this works better for certain muffins and not others. For example, I like having the bottoms of the blueberry muffins. It's not my favorite part, but the soft, super moist bottom works well when eaten with the streusel top. I think if I made chocolate muffins, I might not miss the bottoms at all.
The baking time and oven temperature is slightly different for muffin tops. I used the recipe printed on the back of my muffin top pan for reference.
Blueberry muffin tops (recipe adapted from allrecipes)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking
powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and
enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in
- To Make Streusel Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup
flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and
sprinkle over muffins before baking. (I mixed with fork and then mixed
with my hands, pressing the mixture together and then rubbing it between
my fingers to make it crumbly)
- Pour enough batter so that it lines the edges of the muffin tops (it's about the same batter for a regular muffin). Sprinkle tops with streusel topping.
- Bake for about 20 minutes in the preheated oven.