Chocolate Hazelnut Sandies
I love the taste of hazelnut, so I'm always interested in trying new hazelnut recipes. I found the recipe for chocolate hazelnut sandies on Daydreamer Desserts. These cookies looked so cute with the little nuts on top that I had to try them out.
The recipe is simple to put together if you have a food processor. You simply pour everything into the processor and it does all the work for you. I love how one minute I had a bunch of loose ingredients, and the next minute I had balls of dough.
The cookies taste like nutella, but not as sweet. So if you are looking for a not-so-sweet treat, these are a great occasion for that.
Chocolate Hazelnut Sandies (adapted from Daydreamer Desserts)
1 1/2 cups ground hazelnuts
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup hazelnuts (optional garnish)
1. Process ground hazelnuts, confectioners sugar,
light brown sugar, and cocoa powder in a food processor for about 20 seconds.
2. Add flour and salt, pulse for an additional 5 seconds to combine. Scrape down sides if necessary.
3. Add the butter pieces over the dry ingredients and pulse until dough resembles damp sand for about 18 seconds.
4. While machine is running add the egg yolk and process until the dough comes together and forms a ball, approximately 20 seconds.
5. Cut two sheets of parchment paper. Divide dough in
half, form two 4-inch thick logs and wrap each with a sheet, and place
in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat's.
7. Unwrap dough logs, with a sharp knife slice 1/4 inch
thick cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets spaced about 3/4 inches
apart. Press an unsalted roasted hazelnut in the center of each cookie if
8. Bake for about 17 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Allow
cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes then transfer to a
wire rack until they have cooled completely.