A few weeks ago, I made cute little chinese sponge cakes. My sponge cakes tasted great, just like the ones at chinese bakeries, except they didn't rise very high. After some tips, I decided to try making them again and bringing them home for my family this past Labor Day weekend.

I made sure to whip my eggs for about 10 minutes, I also poured more batter into each cupcake liner. This time the cakes rose much higher. They were high, fluffy, spongy and just subtly sweet. I love how few ingredients are used in these cakes. It makes me think these are healthier and lighter than most desserts.

Mini sponge cakes (adapted from The Little Teochew)

Ingredients

(A)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 50g corn oil

(B)
- 50g cake flour

(C)
- 3 egg whites

(D)
- 50g castor sugar
- Dash of salt

Directions

1) Beat (A) till well mixed with an egg beater, about 10 minutes.

2) Sift in (B), mix well.

3) Whisk (C) till frothy, add (D) and beat till stiff peaks.

Fold in the egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture in 3 additions, mix
till well combined. Scoop the batter into paper cups till 80% full.

5) Bake in preheated oven at 300F for about 18-20mins.

19 Responses to “Chinese sponge cakes”

1. Carol — September 10, 2010 at 9:55 am

Great job, they look great! I used to love Chinese sponge cake with fresh whipped cream and sliced fresh fruit.

2. tigerfish — September 10, 2010 at 10:02 am

Your sponge cake looks really really good! Soft, fluffy, light…perfect!

3. naomi — September 10, 2010 at 10:44 am

These look beautiful. I love how delicate and understated they are.

4. Yue Edwards — September 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Nice, i love light and fluffy cake. Everytime i go to Chinatown, i gotta buy some of such cakes from the chinese bakery.

5. Kirbie — September 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Mmm, I should do that to them next time. I’ve just been eating them plain.

6. Kirbie — September 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Thanks! I was quite happy with this last attempt.

7. Kirbie — September 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Thank you. I love your description of them.

8. Kirbie — September 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I had no idea how easy they were to make. Now I won’t feel compelled to buy them all the time.

9. Tastes of Home (Jen) — September 13, 2010 at 5:11 am

I love Chinese sponge cakes – yours look light and fluffy :)

10. Kirbie — September 14, 2010 at 9:45 am

Thanks! I’m liking the look of these mini cupcake ones, as opposed to the oversized cupcake ones they usually sell at the bakery

11. Jackie — October 29, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I’m always tempted to buy these sponge cakes everytime I visit a chinese bakery. I have a question though – about how much is 50g of cake flour? I don’t have a scale, sorry :/

• Kirbie replied: — October 29th, 2010 @ 9:53 pm

Normally I use cups as measuring. But for certain recipes like this, I’ve found that it is really important that the measurements are accurate, and therefore you need to weigh in the ingredients. Approximations can sometimes cause the recipe to fail. Next time I make this, I can check to give an approximation, but i’d recommend getting a kitchen scale. They are pretty cheap and they come in handy.

12. Jackie — October 31, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I’ve been debating on whether I should get one or not for a long time and now you’ve finally convinced me to get one! Thanks Kirbie, will order a scale from Amazon ;)

• Kirbie replied: — October 31st, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

I debated for a long time too, because I felt like I didn’t really need it often. I think mine was like $12, and once I bought it, I realized how useful it was. I use it for macaron recipes and other ones that need precise measurements, and many other recipes I’ve found without conversions. A lot of asian recipes don’t have conversions. I even use it to weight packages to mail! I hope you find yours just as useful.

13. Pingback: Cakes & Cowpokes | Tri-City Motors

14. simplydolicious — February 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm

your sponge cake looks like fluffy clouds. I just made some Chinese radish cake this week. I think I’ll try making these sponge cake next week.

Thanks for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — February 17th, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

I love radish cakes. I hope you try the sponge cake!

15. Jenny — April 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

I love this recipe! It’s just like the cakes at the Asian bakeries. But, could you tell me why my cake collapses when cooled? Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Try whipping your eggs longer. The key is in the eggs to keep the rise.