I've been on a nutella baking kick lately. After success with my nutella chocolate chip cookies and nutella ice cream, I've been on the search for more nutella recipes.

I found a recipe for nutella brownies from Savory Sweet Life that looked quick and easy and delicious. The brownies only require a few ingredients and you don't need a mixer. My attempt didn't come out exactly right. They are supposed to be ooey gooey and mine weren't at all. I guess mine are overbaked, except that I didn't bake them any longer than required by the recipe.

I also completely forgot to add hazelnuts to mine as I was in a rush. So the tops of these cakes are a bit plain. And instead, the tops look kind of dry because of the crackly tops. I think this was a result of the nutella being the main ingredient though.

While these didn't come out exactly right, they still tasted good. They just tasted like little nutella cakes. Or as BF likes to call them: mushroom tops. I'll probably try this recipe again, with the hazelnuts, and baking a little bit less time to see if I can get the ooey gooey version. But until then, here is the version of the recipe I ended up making:

Nutella cakes (adapted from Savory Sweet Life)

Ingredients
1/2 cup Nutella spread
1 large egg
5 tablespoons all purpose flour

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line or grease mini cupcake/muffin pan.

2. Put the Nutella and egg in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and well blended.  Add the flour and whisk until blended.

3. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins (about 3/4 full) and sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts.

4.  Bake about 11 to 12
minutes.  Set on a rack to cool completely.

17 Responses to “Mini Nutella Cakes”

1. shaz — September 8, 2010 at 8:17 am

I think they look very cute, and definitely mushroom like. Would be perfect for a little girls’ tea party :) SOunds yummy too, must give it a go!

2. caninecologne — September 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm

hi kirbie – wow, only 3 ingredients! i am totally going to make this! i love nutella and we just bought some from costco (nice big@$$ jars too).

3. kmylml — September 8, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Mmm…I love Nutella! I also think your little cakes are so adorable! Have you tried making pecan tassies with the mini cupcake pan? I made them for Christmas and they were a huge hit with my non-dessert eating side of the family.

4. Darwin — September 8, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Hey Kirbie
    Ange made a batch of these today for me before she visited me at work. They were fantastic! Thanks for the great recipe.

5. Ange — September 9, 2010 at 8:31 am

Kirbieee!
    Darn, Darwin beat me to it. I was going to say, I checked your blog last afternoon and read this entry and I was like “Oh my god! I have to make these!” Since you said yours turned out dry or overbaked, I decided to add 1/4 cup of whole milk and a teensy bit of unsalted butter to the mix along with the flour, nutella, and egg. Came out very moist, though it did take considerably longer to bake (probably around 20 minutes). I tried making coffee frosting to add onto the cupcakes after they were done, but I messed up. Anyway, thanks for the recipe! I loved how simple it was :) I always mean to try more recipes of yours!

6. Kirbie — September 9, 2010 at 11:10 am

Costco sized nutella is the best. Enough to bake with and spread on bread. I love how easy this recipe is too, though I’m going to try fiddling with it a little.

7. Kirbie — September 9, 2010 at 11:10 am

I’ve never made pecan tassies before, but they sound delicious!

8. Kirbie — September 9, 2010 at 11:11 am

You’re so lucky that she brings you fresh baked good to work! Glad you liked these.

9. Kirbie — September 9, 2010 at 11:12 am

Hi Ange, Glad you tried out the recipe. I like the additions you made. I was thinking of adding some oil and milk to my next batch too. I’m happy the recipe turned out well for you.

10. Kirbie — September 9, 2010 at 11:13 am

I love the mushroom shapes too. So cute. This does sound great for a tea party.

11. kmylml — September 9, 2010 at 11:05 pm

It’s really good and really easy. The hardest part I think is pushing the dough into the pan. They’re just like mini pecan tarts/pies.

12. Kirbie — September 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Do you have a recipe you recommend? I love pecan stuff. Btw, nice new blog. =)

13. Maria @ ScandiFoodie — September 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm

These look so adorable!

14. Michelle — September 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Ohhh I wanted to give these a try soon too! They looked to intriguing not to try

15. Pingback: Mini Nutella Cakes revisited and improved | Kirbie Cravings

16. Genna — May 4, 2014 at 8:14 am

I have a mini cupcake maker could I make these in that instead of putting them in the oven?? x

• Kirbie replied: — May 5th, 2014 @ 1:12 am

not sure. I’ve never used a mini cupcake maker before.