Monday, September 13, 2010

One Bowl Brownies

I had a serious chocolate craving this weekend. So when I made a list of what I wanted to bake, chocolate was definitely on my brain. Brownies are always a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving.

So far I haven't made many brownie recipes from scratch. While I normally prefer baked goods from scratch, brownies is the one thing where I still prefer the mix. I haven't really found a brownie recipe I love more than the mix. I love how chewy the brownies are that come out of a mix. The brownies I've made from scratch tend to have a more cake-like texture.

I saw a One Bowl Brownies recipe on Itsy Bitsy Foodies that looked easy to make. I love making one bowl recipes.

This recipe came together easily. It isn't much harder than making brownies from a mix. They came out extremely fudgy and chocolatey. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they aren't chewy. I used my Baker's edge pan but it didn't really make much of a difference since the edges didn't have the hard chewy texture that the brownie mixes have.

I prefer these over the SoNo Brownies I made a while back, and I would make these again, but I'm still in search for the brownie recipe that will take me away from my brownie mix.

One Bowl Brownies (found on Itsy Bitsy Foodies)

Ingredients

¾ cup butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour

Directions

1. Microwave the chocolate and the butter for 2 minutes until the butter melts.  Stir the mixture  with a large wooden spoon until the chocolate melts and mixture becomes smooth.

2. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in flour. Mix until the batter is relatively smooth.

2. Pour the brownie batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake the
brownies for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

11 Responses to “One Bowl Brownies”

Mary — September 13, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Oh, I’ve been wanting to get one of those edge pans. Course, my oven is out of commission right now. How sad for me. The brownies look awesome though!

Joyce — September 13, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

I WANT YOUR PAN. lol. Even though the brownies are not as good as your mix ones, they look very delicious.

Kirbie — September 14, 2010 @ 9:42 am

You should get the pan! I really love it. Especially for chewy brownie recipes, it makes such a difference. Love the edge pieces!

Kirbie — September 14, 2010 @ 9:43 am

That’s too bad your oven is out of commission =(
    I recommend the edge pan. I’ve loved it so far. My only regret is that I waited so long to get one!

Tom — September 15, 2010 @ 7:06 am

Since you like chewy brownies, you should try this recipe:

Kirbie — September 15, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

This recipe looks promising. I think I’ll try it this weekend. Thanks!

Roger — September 16, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

Hells yeah. Chewy fudge style brownies all the way.

Kirbie — September 17, 2010 @ 10:27 am

I agree. Now to find such a recipe.

Tom — September 20, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Did you try it?

Kirbie — September 20, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

No =( I had the recipe printed and ready to make and then discovered I was out of unsweetened baking chocolate. It’s on my list for this upcoming weekend now after I go buy the missing chocolate. I had a similar issue with trying to make red velvet pancakes this weekend. I was out of red food coloring. I am determined to make the brownies this upcoming weekend though!

Chocolate Chunk Muffins | Kirbie Cravings — October 20, 2010 @ 10:09 am

[...] I mentioned in my One Bowl Brownies post, I've had a serious craving for chocolate lately. I haven't yet tried to make [...]