Cali Baguette Express
9225 Mira Mesa Blvd, #106
San Diego, CA 92126,
(858) 695-8888

Cali Baguette Express has been on my to-do list for quite a while.  I first read about it on CAB Cooks.  I recently thought about it again after seeing a post from foodies: a southern california food blog.

I’m not sure why, but I imagined a store with a drive thru, so I was surprised to find it in the middle of one of those plazas where all the storefronts look the same and the businesses have the same letterheads displaying their names.

Once inside, we were greeted warmly by the owner. I was hoping for some eggrolls, but I saw the display case was empty. Unfortunately, we had come too late for eggrolls. So instead, we opted to order some bahn mi sandwiches.

BF got #13, which was spicy beef. I got a #6, which was bbq pork. The sandwiches were freshly made.

I was surprised to find my bread still hot and crispy. I love fresh french bread. There was a decent amount of bbq pork in my sandwich, though I could have used more herbs and pickled vegetables. I wasn’t as big of a fan of the beef. There was something in the sauce the beef was marinated in that I didn’t particularly like.

Here is the pork:

Here is the beef:

The sandwiches were pretty good.  I’d come back here again, though next time I’m going to come earlier so I can try out the eggrolls.

Cali Baguette Express on Urbanspoon

13 Responses to “Cali Baguette Express”

1. Rosa — October 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

Huh…is that place relatively new – opened sometime in the last two years? I don’t ever recall seeing it!

• Kirbie replied: — October 26th, 2010 @ 8:19 am

I think it is relatively new. There’s another location that has been around longer.

2. Mary — October 26, 2010 at 11:49 am

I like going there to get asian sausage and egg sandwiches for breakfast – I really like their french bread!

• Kirbie replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 12:13 am

I didn’t realize they make breakfast sandwiches too. Sounds yummy.

3. Stephen Soon — October 26, 2010 at 1:07 pm

If you like Viet sandwiches, have you tried K Sandwiches in Linda Vista? They have really good sandwiches and iced coffee! Highly recommended and its really cheap.

Steve

• Kirbie replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 12:12 am

Yup, I’ve been to K Sandwiches several times. I like stopping there for sandwiches and Vietnamese desserts.

4. Kirk — October 27, 2010 at 8:31 am

Hey Kirbie – It’s the original ECB location that has the drive-thru.

• Kirbie replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Ah, ok. That explains it. i thought I had read about a drivethru somewhere.

5. Liz — October 27, 2010 at 8:34 am

Yum! I’ve been craving bahn mi lately and not wanting to drive south of the 805 and 163. I’ll be checking this out. Extra pate please!

• Kirbie replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

I don’t know if they are always great here or if I got lucky cuz my bread was so toasty and fresh. Love pate!

6. Carol — October 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Glad you tried the place. I’m not a big fan of the beef either. #2 is my favorite, pork loaf with pate. Then #6. I had the eggrolls before and they are so-so. What’s better are the Banh Pate Chaud. I prefer the pork version but the chicken is also good. Those go pretty fast and I’m not sure if they make it thru-out the day. It’s been a month since I’ve last been. I think I need stop by soon.

7. Carol — October 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

My first comment seems to have gotten lost (hopefully this won’t duplicate). I’m glad you tried the place. I don’t care much for the beef either. My favorite is #2, pork loaf with pate. #6 is a close second! I’ve had the eggrolls before and they’re okay. They were cold when I got them so maybe would have been better heated. I much prefer the Banh Pate Chaud! I think you would like those. The outside pastry is flaky and inside is either pork or chicken filling. Yummy!

• Kirbie replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

Ooh, I’ll have to try the Banh Pate Chaud. Glad to hear you like #2. I was thinking of getting that one! I’ll get it next time.