Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mini pumpkin donut muffins

A while back I tried a baked donut muffin recipe that has been making its way around the web, which I absolutely loved. The mini baked donut muffins are baked so they don’t taste like yeast fried donuts, but they strongly resemble the cake-type donuts.

I’ve been wanting to go back to the recipe for a while, but I also wanted to play around with it. I had been thinking about trying a pumpkin version, and then I found another baker who had the same idea and already made a pumpkin version! I found the recipe on The Craving Chronicles.

These doughnut muffins required a couple more steps than the original sugar doughnut muffins they are adapted from, but they have a nice pumpkin flavor. They are a bit more dense and wet, but they are quite tasty and I love the spices. I liked these as much as I liked the original version.

If I have time, I might play around with this some more, and see if I can make a slightly less dense and less wet version. It was hard to get these to stand up because they were dense.

When they finished baking, they looked like tiny pumpkin muffins. I was trying to decide what to do with them to decorate. I ended up dipping the tops in chocolate ganache, but they came out kind of messy and I couldn’t seem to properly coat the tops. Maybe next time I’ll leave them plain or dip them in a sugar cinnamon mixture.

I made a few modifications to the recipe. Here is the recipe with my modifications:

Mini pumpkin donut muffins (adapted from The Craving Chronicles)

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree (I will probably reduce this next time)
1/2 cup fat free milk

Directions
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Spray  mini muffin tin with baking spray that contains flour.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and spices .

3. In a large bowl whisk together oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined!

4. Spoon batter into muffin cups about 2/3 full.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Chocolate ganache coating

Ingredients
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions

1. Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.

2. Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.

3. Let ganache cool for a few minutes before dipping the tops of the donuts in chocolate ganache

9 Responses to “Mini pumpkin donut muffins”

Roxan — October 27, 2010 @ 6:40 am

Sigh, I have been a bad foodie this season. I’ve only used squash once so far and that was to make a vegetable dish w dinner. I haven’t baked with it at all yet!

• claribelle replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 8:22 am

Aww, well you’ve been busy taking trips! Sounds a lot more fun then cooking. There’s still time though..esp with all the upcoming holidays.

Theresa — October 27, 2010 @ 11:14 am

Glad to see you enjoyed these too! They do come out very moist, but I think that’s because the pumpkin is so moist. Either way I was OK with it because they tasted so good :)

• claribelle replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Yes, the pumpkin made these super moist. I just worry about them getting moldy with so much moisture. Also some people thought they weren’t finished cooking. I had to assure them they were done, just really moist because of the pumpkin. Loved how these tasted though! Thanks for the recipe!

CrustaBakes — October 27, 2010 @ 11:47 pm

Hi, i have been following your posts on chiffon cakes. I seem to have the same problem u had with your first chiffon attempt, the one where the top gets bunched up and creates a dense layer. It doesnt seem to bother your subsequent attempts. May i know how you got rid of that prob? Thanks in advance! I love your blog btw. :)

• claribelle replied: — October 28th, 2010 @ 7:45 am

There’s a couple of things I’ve done differently since my first chiffon attempt. I think the main thing is the egg whites. You want to whip them to stiff peaks, until you can actually turn the bowl upside down and the egg whites won’t slide out and use cream of tartar as an egg white stabilizer. Then, when you begin to mix the egg whites with the batter, make sure no white streaks remain at all. The first time I did it, I forgot to add the cream of tartar, and I did have some white streaks remaining in my end batter. It’s best to add the beaten egg whites in batches to the rest of the mixture so that it is thoroughly mixed. I also use a spatula to mix it in. And I just keep folding the batter, the same direction, until all the white streaks are gone, then add some more egg whites, repeat. I usually do this about four times. Sometimes the egg whites get stuck at the bottom of the batter, so make sure you fold the bottom up too. Hope this helps! I also watched this video, which is showing the process for making macarons, but it shows how to properly fold egg whites in batter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDo0SgDKLVw&feature=player_embedded

Crustabakes — October 29, 2010 @ 2:46 am

Hiii, thanks so much for the comprehensive explanation on the egg whites! i am still trying to figure out what went wrong. You might be right about the temperature control though. I am still experimenting on different temperature etc. Nevertheless, thanks so much for dropping by and offering your advise. U have a great blog here!

• claribelle replied: — October 29th, 2010 @ 8:11 am

No problem. You might also want to try out a different recipe? I think some recipes have a higher chance of something going wrong and others tend to be more fail proof.

Imwaytoobusy — November 4, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

So cute! I’d love to serve these for company!