Phil’s BBQ

Phil's BBQ
3750 Sports Arena Blvd
San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 226-6333
www.philsbbq.net

I had a serious craving for bbq ribs after watching something on a tv show where they were going on and on about bbq.  So I decided to make a late dinner stop at Phil's.  Despite the late hour, the place was still busy. Luckily, we had phoned in our order for take out so we didn't have to wait too long.

I was in a hurry to eat, so the pictures don't look that great. BF and I ordered a full rib dinner to share, along with our favorite sides: potato salad and macaroni salad.  The ribs were as good as always. The sweet, tangy, spicy bbq sauce smothering the cooked pork that easily falls off the bone.

Btw, if you didn't already know, Phil's now sells their famous bbq sauce at Costco.

Not too long ago, I read a post about Phil's where the blogger raved about the beef ribs. In all the times I've been to Phil's, I've never tried the beef ribs. I've seen them- they are gigantic compared to the pork ribs but that is because the beef bones are so much bigger. So we decided to place a half order, which is 3 bones.

I thought the beef ribs were just as tender as the pork, but both BF and I preferred the pork. I thought the beef ones had a bit more fat pieces.

Not too long ago, we also tried the onion rings, which are humongous. Some of the biggest onion rings I've had. I took a picture, but accidentally deleted them. You can read my previous post on Phil's here.

15 Responses to “Phil’s BBQ”

1. Sandy — October 8, 2010 at 7:50 am

We were at Phil’s last week. My husband likes the beef ribs, but this time, there were a lot of charred edges. I prefer pork ribs, although mine had more sauce than I like.
    I’ve never done take-out at Phil’s; every time I wait in line, I think I should call in the order next time. The San Marcos location is supposed to be opening soon,

2. Rosa — October 8, 2010 at 8:23 am

I have never had Phil’s. I know…bad bad me. And I consider myself from San Diego…kekeke.
    I had a hankering for BBQ last night and hit up a nearby place. The bbq meats were good but not outstanding. I’m still craving bbq…

3. Carol — October 8, 2010 at 11:00 am

Hi Kirbie! I used to love Phil’s but the last 2 visits were very disappointing. I always get the pork ribs and the sauce tasted off, way too vinegary. The rib meat was also a bit off, I don’t know how to explain it but it was a little mushy? It was fall of the bone but the texture of the meat wasn’t like the other times. We also tried the tri-tip sandwich and it wasn’t anything outstanding. We’re still planning on visiting the one in San Marcos once that’s open since that’s a bit closer to home.

4. Gastronomer — October 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I can’t believe I’ve yet to eat here. Thanks for the mac salad and pot salad tip. I will be sure to get those!

5. Mary — October 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

The onions rings are like magic. I’m also a bigger fan of the beef ribs!

6. Kirbie — October 9, 2010 at 9:41 am

I like Phil’s, but I hate waiting in line. I only wait in line now if I have friends visiting.

7. Kirbie — October 9, 2010 at 9:42 am

*gasp* We’re going to have to rectify that next time you are in SD!

8. Kirbie — October 9, 2010 at 9:42 am

Oh no, that’s too bad that your last visits weren’t good. Yeah the meat definitely shouldn’t be mushy..

9. Kirbie — October 9, 2010 at 9:43 am

I can’t believe you haven’t eaten there yet either! You should also try the onion rings if you like onion rings. Theirs are gigantic.

10. Kirbie — October 9, 2010 at 9:44 am

Normally I prefer beef to pork, so I’m surprised I preferred the pork ribs. I like them both though, just the pork slightly more.

11. Sophie — October 11, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I’ve tried Phil. It’s pretty good but I really prefer Famous Daves for their bbq sauces.
    Unforunately I don’t know if there’s any famous daves bbq in sd. There’s some up in norcal.

• Kirbie replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

Hmm, I’ve never tried Famous Daves before. I’ll have to look for it next time I’m in Norcal.

12. Pingback: Phil’s BBQ | Online REL

13. Dave — November 11, 2010 at 12:16 pm

You don’t have to go very far for the great food at Famous Dave’s. The have one in Vista :)

• Kirbie replied: — November 11th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Really? I had no idea. My mom ate it in the Bay Area and I assumed it was a chain up there. I was thinking of trying it next time I’m visiting my parents. Vista is a little bit away from me, but doable. Thanks!