Monday, November 1, 2010

Nutella Scones

I’m always looking for new recipes using nutella. A while back, Food Gal baked a recipe for nutella scones, which she adapted from the book Baked Explorations by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.  I immediately bookmarked the recipe and added it to my to-do list.

After going to Costco to refill my supply of nutella, I was finally ready to bake these scones. The scones use cocoa powder and pieces of hazelnut, and then there is a thin layer of nutella sandwiched in between and nutella as icing. I was kind of hoping for more nutella. I debated trying to mix the dough with the nutella, but I ended up deciding to try that experiment some other time.

The scones are crumbly with a mild chocolate taste. I like the layer of moist nutella in the middle (you can see the sandwiched nutella layer in these scones), but I would have liked more nutella mixed into the scones, even though I used more than the recipe required. I also found them to be slightly on the dry side, so next time I think I’ll add more cream to the scones.

Food Gal made some changes to the original recipe to play up the hazelnut factor. Knowing the tastes of my family, I made some changes to downplay the hazelnut and put more emphasis on nutella.

Nutella scones (adapted from Food Gal, who adapted it from Baked Explorations)

Yields: 8 scones

Ingredients

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup Nutella

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In food processor, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until combined.

3. Add in butter cubes and blend in food processor until butter cubes are gone and crumbly flour mixture is formed, about 30 seconds.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Pour flour mixture out into a large bowl. Make a well in the center, and pour in cream mixture. Mix with hands until a dough is formed. If dough is too crumbly, add a little more cream.

5. Flatten dough into a rectangle about one inch thick and spread 1/2 cup Nutella on top in a crisscross pattern. Roll dough up to make a cylinder and then flatten it into a circle about 2 inches high.

6. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and place them on a prepared baking sheet. Bake scones for 18 to 20 minutes,  or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean.

7. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool completely.

8. Heat remaining 1/2 cup in a microwave, about 30 seconds. Put warmed nutella in a piping bag and drizzle over tops of scones.

13 Responses to “Nutella Scones”

Vivienne — November 2, 2010 @ 2:54 am

what other nutella recipes have you tried? I have a huge jar of it at home and have it every morning with toast…but would love to see what kinda desserts i can make with it…hmmm.

Peggy — November 3, 2010 @ 1:56 am

These scones sound absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try them out!

• claribelle replied: — November 3rd, 2010 @ 8:23 am

They are pretty tasty. I think anything with nutella is pretty tasty. =)

Sheena — November 3, 2010 @ 3:07 am

I pretty much love anything with nutella in it! These scones look really lovely.

• claribelle replied: — November 3rd, 2010 @ 8:24 am

Thanks. I love things with nutella too!

Carolyn Jung — November 3, 2010 @ 7:42 am

Yours came out beautiful! They’re pretty tasty, huh? And filling. ;)

• claribelle replied: — November 3rd, 2010 @ 8:24 am

Thank you. Yours came out beautiful too, especially with the contrasting colors using the hazelnut praline. Yes these are pretty filling.

Medifast Coupon Code — November 3, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Was looking for a nice scones recipe, didn’t know I would come across a little piece of scones heaven, oh yeah nutella, these are going to be so so good!

joan — November 3, 2010 @ 11:21 am

I made this shortly after I got my Baked Explorations book in the mail. I, too, found the dough very dry, and added an extra 1/4 cup of cream to the dough, which did the trick. They came out perfect and delicious!

• claribelle replied: — November 3rd, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on going back to the recipe and adding more cream. I was going to look at some other cream scones recipes I’ve used that have come out very moist.

Jennifer — November 4, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

You must be the Nutella Queen judging from all that I see here LOL These scones look quite irresistible! I love scones and am just becoming a fast and furious fan of this creamy rich hazelnut spread. Have to give this a try :) Thanks

Jennifer

• Kirbie replied: — November 5th, 2011 @ 7:35 am

I definitely have a nutella obsession. In fact, I really should create a category for it