Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin mochi

I’ve been working on trying to create a pumpkin mochi recipe. Every year I make pumpkin mochi cake, and I plan on making it again this year, but I also wanted to try making individual pumpkin mochi balls.

My first attempt was a few weeks ago using the microwave method. They tasted good, but the dough didn’t come together well. When I shaped them into balls, they kept sagging down like a sad lump. The dough was also super sticky and so I had to dust them with a lot of cornstarch. As a result, the bright orange color of the mochi was hidden by the cornstarch.

So then I thought of boiling the mochi, for a more stable ball.  There is a chinese dessert, sometimes referred to as sticky rice balls or glutinous rice balls, which is boiled mochi/glutinous rice flour.

While these held their shape much better, they also came out a much lighter shade of orange than I wanted to and the flavor of pumpkin was practically non-existent.

I plan on experimenting with this more in the kitchen. I may try a steamed version and also may try the microwave method again.

Boiled Pumpkin Mochi Balls

Ingredients
1 cup sweet glutinous rice flour or mochiko flour
approx 5 tablespoons water
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup sugar

Directions
1. Pour all the ingredients into a bowl and mix. You may need to add more water to the dough. The dough should be sticky, but if you touch it, it should not stick to your hands. Add enough water until the dough comes together and doesn’t stick to your hands.
2. Take small chunks of dough and roll them to form balls.
3. Boil a small pot of water and drop balls in after water begins to boil. Let them cook for approximately one minute.  The balls should float to the top.
4. Pour out the hot water and rinse the balls in cold water to cool them down. Then let them sit for about an hour to cool.
5. When the balls have cooled, scoop them out and place them in mini cupcake liners. The mochi balls should be eaten the day of. The next day they will lose their chewiness. Do not refrigerate, as the dough will completely lose its chewy texture.

11 Responses to “Pumpkin mochi”

Vivienne — November 9, 2010 @ 12:13 am

i love mochi in any forms..baked or steamed or boiled hahhaa.
    flavouring with pumpkin is such a great idea!

• claribelle replied: — November 9th, 2010 @ 1:41 am

Me too! Mochi is one of my favorite foods. I’m going to continue trying to make a more pumpkiny flavored one. Also wanted to fill it with chocolate.

fran — January 19, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

You might try boiling the canned pumpkin down to reduce it and concentrate the flavor before adding it to the mochiko.

• Kirbie replied: — January 20th, 2012 @ 10:58 am

Thanks for the suggestion!

ec — March 21, 2012 @ 1:51 am

what would happen if you leave the mochi balls soaked in the water for a while. i am planning to make homemade mochi balls for my snow ice shop in Vietnam. I am a novice with mochi making so any pointers shot this way is appreciated!

• Kirbie replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Yes I think they should be able to sit in water. Regular mochi balls sit in water and soup just find so I don’t see these being any different.

sky — July 16, 2012 @ 3:49 am

does this recipe also work if i put the mochi in the microwave instead of boiling it?

sky — July 16, 2012 @ 5:23 am

does this recipe still work if i microwaved the mochi instead of boiling it?

• Kirbie replied: — July 16th, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Unfortunately no. The microwave didnt work for me

pc — November 2, 2012 @ 11:37 am

i plan on trying this out this weekend. have you tried any new experiments in making the the flavor standout more as well as the color? what would happen if i added more pumpkin puree? thanks love the site!

• Kirbie replied: — November 2nd, 2012 @ 1:51 pm