Friday, January 7, 2011

Easy Apple Muffins

Apples have been really cheap lately so I’ve been looking for apple recipes. I found a really easy apple muffin recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything. Muffin recipes are usually pretty easy to whip together, but this one was even easier than the average muffin recipe.

My muffins didn’t seem to turn out quite the same as The Girl Who Ate Everything. The sprinkled brown sugar doesn’t have the same effect as a streusel topping. Also my muffins didn’t really rise and so they looked almost the same uncooked as they did when they were finished and the batter remained a pale color.

The muffins tasted better than they looked. The batter is sweet and the apples compliment the batter.

Apple Muffins (adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything)

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups diced apples (around 2 apples)
Brown sugar for topping (I did this for this version, but next time I’d make a streusel topping)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cream together sugar, eggs, vanilla and oil. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Add the diced apples.

3. Line muffin pan with paper liners. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle with brown sugar.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

8 Responses to “Easy Apple Muffins”

Niki — January 7, 2011 @ 6:29 am

It looks like she used a full two cups of sugar. Granted it is white sugar, but maybe that extra bit helped caramelize more and darken the batter? Either way, they both look delicious, no matter how brown they are! Thanks for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2011 @ 8:37 am

I usually reduce sugar in a lot of the recipes I see and it doesn’t affect the recipe other than making it a bit less sweet. So I don’t think that should affect making the batter darker, but I could be wrong! I am thinking that maybe there is something missing in her recipe. Also the original recipe called for 3 cups of apples which was way too much..there was barely any batter when I did two cups.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 7, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Yum, I love baking with apples! These would be terrific with streusel.

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Everything tastes better with streusel!

Toru — January 7, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

I definitely appreciate you reducing the sugar in your recipes. I always do the same with people’s recipes but from yours, I don ‘t have to change anything! =)

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I’m so happy to hear that. =)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 8, 2011 @ 9:51 am

mmm those muffins look so yummy! i’d love to have one of those with a cup of tea or coffee for breakfast :)

• Kirbie replied: — January 10th, 2011 @ 1:48 am

They make a nice breakfast treat. =)