I love baked sugar donuts. They are light, addicting and easy to make. Any recipe that requires only one bowl and a whisk is a keeper in my opinion.
This weekend I made them with some juicy, sweet strawberries which looked beautiful at the markets. The strawberries were so deeply red, it was hard to remember that it’s not strawberry season.
I chopped some up and threw them into the batter. Perhaps next time I might try pureeing some into the batter as well. I topped them with some chocolate ganache since strawberries pair so well with chocolate.
They came out cute as a button and tasty too. I used this donut pan, which I own two of and am so happy I bought since I use them so often!
Mini baked strawberry sugar donuts (adapted from Stylish Cuisine)
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup strawberries, cut into small cubes
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a mini donut pan with cooking spray
or vegetable oil.
2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg with a whisk until combined. Add in flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until combined.
3. Pour in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk again until no lumps remain. Stir in the strawberries.
4. Fill mini donut pan with batter, about 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 11-12 minutes for mini donuts, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Use a small spatula and loosen around the circle of the donut to help ease the removal from the pan.
7. Frost when cooled.
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Be careful to not let it boil over. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
2. Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
3. Let ganache cool for a few minutes before drizzling donuts with glaze or simply dipping the tops of the donuts in chocolate ganacheYum