Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mini Hasselback potatoes

Hasselback potatoes are one of the easiest appetizers/side dishes you can make that is both delicious and has a unique presentation. I first saw hasselback potatoes on several food blogs over a year ago. I put it on my to-do list, but kept forgetting to make them.

Now that I’ve finally made them, I can’t believe it took me so long to get around to try it. The preparation is simple. All you need is some potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper and a sharp knife. You insert several slits inside each potato, until it is close to reaching the bottom, but you don’t want to completely slice through the potato. Then you season with some olive oil, pepper and salt, and set it to bake. When the potatoes are baking, they will fan out, creating an accordion-like effect. The name “Hasselback” is derived from the first restaurant in Sweden that served these potatoes

I didn’t plan on making mini ones, but it turned out those were the only kinds of potatoes I had on hand. I thought these bite sized versions were super cute. The potatoes taste really good too.

Mini hasselback potatoes

10 small fingerling potatoes
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

Directions
1. Wash potatoes and then dry off with a towel.
2. Using a sharp knife, slice slits into the potato until you reach about 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the potato. Continue to make these inserts across the potato length, spacing them about 1/8 inch apart.
3. Place potatoes on a baking sheet.
4. Brush the potatoes with olive oil. Then sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bake at 425 F for approximately 15 minutes, or until the skin is crispy and the inside of the potato is soft. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired before serving.

9 Responses to “Mini Hasselback potatoes”

caninecologne — March 13, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

I’ve never heard or seen Hasselback potatoes but I know that I would LOVE them! I just roasted some potatoes today too. If I had only read this post before chopping them up! I want to do this with mini potatoes…so cute!

• Kirbie replied: — March 14th, 2011 @ 8:51 am

I hope you try them!

discojing — March 14, 2011 @ 9:02 am

I never knew these potatoes were called “Hasselback Potatoes”! I saw them recently listed as “Accordion Potatoes” in *Christie’s Corner* and made them for a recent Mad Hatter-themed tea party for my sister.

My end product: http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180961_820786859406_1528074_45846630_7736998_n.jpg

Here is the link I used: http://christiescorner.com/2011/02/11/recipe-accordion-potatoes/

Everyone seemed to love them!

• Kirbie replied: — March 14th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Love the “Eat me” label on yours! I actually never heard of them called accordian potatoes, though I know that’s what they look like. I’ve always seen to them called Hasselback. heehee

Medifast Coupon Code 2011 — March 14, 2011 @ 9:05 am

It seems if we are going to have potatoes then hasselback are the way they will be done, but didn’t think of using just little fingerling potatoes, and sure why not great idea. Thanks.

Vicki — March 14, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

I’ve always wanted to try hasselback potatoes, but haven’t yet. I just know I’d love them – maximum surface area for maximum crunch!

• Kirbie replied: — March 15th, 2011 @ 8:35 am

You should definitely try it. It’s like eating oven roasted potato wedges but in a much cooler shape.

Morgan — March 19, 2011 @ 6:21 am

Dawww they’re so cute! I’ve been wanting to make hasselback potatoes, I think I’ll try these as a little snack with friends :D

• Kirbie replied: — March 19th, 2011 @ 8:01 am

I like the small size. Makes them easier to eat a couple rather than giant ones.