I’ve been wanting to make Cook’s Illustrated’s Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes. They are made with a rich chocolate cupcake base and a chocolate ganache layer baked in the middle.
So I planned on trying out the recipe but I ran out of time and ended up having to do a partial version. This version doesn’t have chocolate ganache in the middle and is frosted with chocolate ganache instead of the chocolate buttercream called for in the original recipe.
I will try the original recipe in its full glory soon. Until then, here are some chocolate cupcakes with ganache frosting. I made my ganache a little too thick so it made it stiff to frost. As a result, these didn’t come out as pretty as my previous frosted cupcakes. Oh well. They still tasted good.
The chocolate cake base is very chocolatey. I can only imagine how good it will taste with chocolate ganache baked in the middle.
Recipe: Chocolate cupcakes
(adapted from Cook’s Illustrated)
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 3/4 cup hot, strong-brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the ganache frosting: 1 cup heavy cream, 8 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Place chocolate and cocoa in a medium bowl and pour the hot coffee over the mixture. Whisk until smooth and transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely, 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk oil, eggs, vanilla, and vinegar into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until cupcakes are set and firm to the touch, 17-20 minutes. Allow to cool in pans before frosting.
- For the frosting: Heat cream in small saucepan until it comes to a boil. Remove from stove and pour over chopped chocolate. Whisk until a smooth chocolate ganache forms. Refrigerate bowl for an hour or more until ganache becomes solid. Then pipe and frost cupcake.s