“Nutella Chip” Cookies
No these are not the nutella chocolate chip cookies that I’ve made several times on this blog. Instead, these are “nutella chip” cookies. The cookies are made with homemade nutella chips to ensure a fudgy nutella flavor throughout the cookies.
Nutella chocolate chip cookies have been a favorite dessert in my house. I like them and I like how the nutella keeps the cookies fudgy and chewy in the middle. However, the nutella flavor gets a little lost in the cookies.
I’ve been trying to figure out for a long time now how to make the nutella flavor more apparent. I’ve tried swirling the nutella, adding more nutella, etc. Each change wasn’t to my satisfaction. Then the other day I had an “aha moment.” I was actually reading a post about making homemade matcha chocolate chips. And then I remembered reading a post a while back about homemade nutella chips.
The nutella chips don’t hold as well as other homemade chocolate chips because they are made of just nutella and butter. When frozen, they stay nice and firm. But sitting at room temperature, they begin to melt. You can add in some chocolate to make them firmer, but then that takes away the nutella taste again.
I kept these nutella chips in the freezer until they were ready to be used. They worked great in these cookies. Pockets of nutella were spread throughout my cookies. The nutella chips definitely made these cookies even better than before.
The homemade nutella chips recipe can be found here. I chose to make them without the chocolate and I piped them into small chips. These were fun to eat on their own too.
Recipe: Nutella chip cookies
(cookie recipe adapted from JustJenn)
- 1 cup frozen nutella chips (recipe from The Ivory Hut)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter, sugar and the brown sugar using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add in the flour mixture on low speed until combined. Then add in the nutella and mix until Nutella is incorporated.
- Using a large spoon, mix in the nutella chips.
- Scoop dough and roll between your palms to shape into 1 inch balls and drop onto baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Remove cookies from tray and let them cool on wire racks.