|Marie-Helene's French Apple Cake || || |
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large apples (it's suggested you use 4 different kinds)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and center a rack in the oven. Butter an 8 inch springform pan (I lined mine with parchment paper). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and put the springform pan on it. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Peel the apples, cut them in half, and remove the cores. Cut the apples into 1 to 2 inch chunks.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until foamy. Pour in the sugar and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the rum and vanilla. Whisk in half of the flour mixture, when it's incorporated, add half of the melted butter, followed by the remaining flour mixture and butter. Mix in between additions so you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Fold in the apples with a rubber spatula. Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread with spatula so the batter is somewhat even.
- Slide the pan in the oven and bake 50-60 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool for five minutes.
Recipe by Kirbie's Cravings | A San Diego food blog at http://kirbiecravings.com/2011/06/french-apple-cake.html