I love scones. It’s one of my favorite baked goods. I’m not quite sure why. They aren’t very sweet, and they have are heavy on the flour, creating a texture that can be a little dry. But something about them is absolutely addicting to me.

I especially love cream scones because they tend to be more tender and are easy to make. To date, I’ve only attempted sweet scones. However, a post by A Work in Progress gave me the idea to try making a savory scone and also solve the problem of how to use up all the fresh rosemary and cheddar cheese I had laying around my house.

Having never attempted a savory scone, I was afraid about adding too much rosemary and cheddar, so I was a little light on both ingredients. I really loved how these scones came out though and I loved the flavor of the cheese and rosemary. Next time I will have to add more of both to these scones.

Cheddar and Rosemary Scones
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped rosemary
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into food processor. Add the cubes of butter and blend in food processor for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  2. Add the cream, cheddar and rosemary and blend again for about 10-20 seconds until dough forms.
  3. To make drop scones, take a handful of dough and shape into round mound. You can also make a large circle and cut the dough into triangles to form triangle scones. Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until scones turn golden brown.

9 Responses to “Cheddar and Rosemary Scones”

1. Snippets of Thyme — July 20, 2011 at 4:13 am

Yum. I feel like I can smell them. Cheddar and rosemary sound like a perfect pairing.

2. jenny — July 20, 2011 at 9:04 am

Thanks for letting me have a sample of these, they were yummy! I’m bookmarking them for future use!

• Kirbie replied: — July 20th, 2011 @ 9:17 am

So relieved you liked them. I was a little hesitant to give them to you because you’re such a good baker. Plus I’ve only had scones here and I’m sure you know a lot more about scones.

3. Paula — July 20, 2011 at 11:38 am

It is also one of my favourites! I think it’s easy to understand!!
    They’re simple and quick to prepare, and the best is that yo can make them for seet or for salty, make a single batter, or including herbs, spices, fruits, cheese… It’s perfect!!
    And how about the texture?? I think the go well (no well, perfect!!), with every food!!
    And I loooove rosemary and every type of cheese, you these looks great for me!! And I have to try a recipe with heavy cream, because I always use buttermilk. Have to see the difference.

• Kirbie replied: — July 20th, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

I love your explanation of why scones are so good!

4. Nora @ FatBurningFurnace.com — January 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Looks like an awesome recipe for scones. I have yet to make them since I just accidentally stumbled upon your site whole looking for something else! I have you added to my bookmarks so I will be making these soon!

Thank you!

• Kirbie replied: — January 20th, 2012 @ 10:58 am

Hope you like them. They are one of my favs!

5. here be dragons — February 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I do love rosemary. And cheese. I love cheese.

• Kirbie replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 2:11 pm