Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- food coloring (red, yellow, green, and blue)
- Preheat the oven to 365F. Line two muffin pans with 14 liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a stand mixer whip the cream at high speed until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until just combined.
- On medium-high speed, gradually beat the egg mixture into the whipped cream. Gradually beat in the sugar. It should take about 30 seconds to incorporate it. Then add the flour mixture into the cream and mix on medium speed until batter becomes smooth.
- Separate batter into five different bowls. Add a few drops of food coloring to each one to form the colors you want for your cupcakes. I did red, orange, yellow, green and purple. Next time I'll do blue and take out orange or yellow.
- For each cupcake mold, add a thin layer of each color of cake batter. Bake for about 15-17 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once cupcakes have cooled, you can pipe with frosting. I used a simple whipped cream frosting.
Recipe by Kirbie's Cravings | A San Diego food blog at http://kirbiecravings.com/2011/07/rainbow-cupcakes.html