Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cherry Cake

I bought a few too many cherries and decided to bake with some of them. I came across this recipe for a simple cherry cake that looked easy and tasty. I love easy recipes, especially when they involve fruit so that the fruit can really shine through.

I was able to make the cake batter in a matter of minutes. And I love how the cherries are studded throughout the cake. The texture of the cake was a little denser than I would have liked. It reminded me of the strawberry cake I made a few months ago, but not as sweet.

I’m still in the search for a simple fruit cake that is also light and fluffy. If anyone has any good recommendations, please share.

For the recipe, I slightly adapted a recipe from Table for 2…or more, who adapted it from Cake and Desserts.

Cherry Cake
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Ingredients
  • 200gm fresh whole cherries, pitted.
  • 100gm butter
  • 120gm icing sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 150gm all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • icing sugar for dusting
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9 inch tart pan.
  2. Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs gradually.
  4. Add in vanilla.
  5. Sift flour with baking powder and fold into the beaten batter.
  6. Spread out the mixture onto prepared pan and place cherries on top.
  7. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. When cake has cooled, dust with icing sugar before serving.

8 Responses to “Cherry Cake”

Connie — August 23, 2011 @ 7:13 am

Hi! I noticed that the recipe doesn’t contain any liquid like milk or buttermilk. I usually find that cakes made with thicker batters are usually more dense. For yellow cake, I usually make Better Homes and Garden’s yellow cake found in the red plaid cookbook. I haven’t found a white cake recipe I like yet, but this particular yellow cake is not very yellow in color and is reliable. The key is the beating the sugar, butter and egg mixture very well before adding flour and milk. Or, you can try to make this recipe better by separating the eggs and beating the whites until stiff peaks and fold into the rest of the batter and substitute the all purpose flour for cake flour. Of course, that makes the recipe a little less simple as you will have to dirty more bowls. Good luck!

• Kirbie replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I haven’t yet tried the Better Homes and Garden’s yellow cake yet. I will have to try it out soon. Thanks. I haven’t found a perfect white cake recipe yet either. I have a few bookmarked though.

Roxan — August 23, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Ooh, I bet cherries would be so good in an almond cake!
    Btw – Congrats on the published article! I saw you posted it yesterday, you did a great job with it.

• Kirbie replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 8:29 am

You read my mind. After I tasted this cake I was thinking it would have been better if I had made an almond cake. but then I was out of cherries. Next time!

Sasha — August 23, 2011 @ 10:08 am

This looks absolutely beautiful it really does :) I have a few recipes you might be interested in trying actually, the first is one ive posted about and made numerous times this summer – it may not be as simple as you are looking for but id class it as veryvery easy! http://theprocrastobaker.blogspot.com/2011/07/raspberry-bakewell-cake.html
    the second is one im dying to try out that is called ‘the easiest cake ever’ and you can use whatever fruit ya fancy! http://everybodylikessandwiches.com/2009/08/the-easiest-cake-ever/

• Kirbie replied: — August 23rd, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Thanks for the recipes! I’ve tried the easiest cake ever, and I really like that one! It usually is the one I use when I have a lot of fruit and no time. I will check out your recipe soon!

Mike @ How To Make A Smoothie At Home — August 24, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Thanks for the great recipe. Your pictures are awesome. I can’t wait to try it.

• Kirbie replied: — August 24th, 2011 @ 5:41 pm