I bought a few too many cherries and decided to bake with some of them. I came across this recipe for a simple cherry cake that looked easy and tasty. I love easy recipes, especially when they involve fruit so that the fruit can really shine through.
I was able to make the cake batter in a matter of minutes. And I love how the cherries are studded throughout the cake. The texture of the cake was a little denser than I would have liked. It reminded me of the strawberry cake I made a few months ago, but not as sweet.
I’m still in the search for a simple fruit cake that is also light and fluffy. If anyone has any good recommendations, please share.
For the recipe, I slightly adapted a recipe from Table for 2…or more, who adapted it from Cake and Desserts.
- 200gm fresh whole cherries, pitted.
- 100gm butter
- 120gm icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 150gm all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9 inch tart pan.
- Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs gradually.
- Add in vanilla.
- Sift flour with baking powder and fold into the beaten batter.
- Spread out the mixture onto prepared pan and place cherries on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. When cake has cooled, dust with icing sugar before serving.