Thursday, August 25, 2011

Jean Philippe Patisserie Macarons

The siblings went to Las Vegas a few weeks ago and brought me back some French macarons and a hazelnut chocolate dessert from Jean Philippe Patisserie inside the Bellagio.

Chef Jean Philippe is a World Pastry Champion. I visited the Patisserie inside the Bellagio shortly after it was first opened. Inside there is a large chocolate fountain, beautifully crafted desserts, gelato and gourmet chocolate candy. Almost every inch of the bakery is filled with some kind of dessert. It’s a bit like a dessert heaven.

Jean Philippe Patisserie was where I experienced my first French Macaron. I immediately fell in love with macarons and searched for them when I got back home, but the macaron craze hadn’t quite yet hit.

Now that I’ve experience many other macarons and made my own, Jean Philippe’s weren’t nearly as impressive. I found the shell a little too thin, and the flavors artificial. That being said, I would still pay the bakery a visit on trip to Vegas if you love desserts.

Jean Philippe Patisserie
3600 S Las Vegas Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89109

13 Responses to “Jean Philippe Patisserie Macarons”

Sandy — August 26, 2011 @ 6:34 am

Heaven indeed! I will check it out on my next visit to Las Vegas.

The first time I had a macaron was in Paris about four years ago. I loved the light texture and the intense flavor of the cookie. Later, I realized that my niece had suggested getting macarons in France, only I assumed that she was talking about the coconut macaroons.

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 11:56 am

After I visited here the first time, I kept asking about macarons and looking for them in SD. But everyone kept directing me to the coconut macaroons. I was so frustrated! I am visiting Paris next summer; I can’t wait to try macarons there. Btw, have you ever had the macarons from Big Joy Family Bakery on Convoy? I had them the other day and they are amazing. I can’t believe I didn’t know about them sooner. They are a little expensive (1.75-2.50 a piece I think), but they are bigger than the standard macaron, have a great texture, and have great flavors. They all taste like the flavors they should without being too artificial. I got them as a gift, but I plan on heading there soon to buy some myself and to blog about them.

Catty Critic — August 26, 2011 @ 9:52 am

I’m not sure if I ever had a macaron from Jean Philippe but I do love macarons. The other desserts there though are fabulous. There was a little passion fruit parfait cup that I adored…

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

I really wanted the Bouchon macarons. They didn’t have time to go over there. Luckily the one in LA is now open. I’m planning a trip!

• Catty Critic replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

We were right across the street from there last night (dinner at Mastro’s Steakhouse). Now if I can get there when they are open…

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

yummy. I wonder if your baby will be born with a sophisticated taste palate since he eats so well in your stomach. heehee

Liz — August 26, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

yuuummm…. macarons. Oh how I’d like to be on the other side of that glass walled choco fountain :)

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Lol. It’s seriously like Candyland in there.

Sandy — August 26, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Honeymoon in Paris?

I had macrons from Laduree in Paris, although I never went to one of their shops (my macarons were courtesy of the hotel).

I had forgotten that Big Joy has macarons! I was at Phung Trang a few weeks ago, and saw them in the bakery window, but didn’t have time to buy some.

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Yup! I’ve been wanting to go to France forever. So it was the first place I thought of for honeymoon.

caninecologne — August 26, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

What an amazing chocolate fountain! It’s so beautiful! I’ll have to check our Big Joy Family Bakery for their macarons – is that the one next to Phuong Trang?

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

According to Sandy, yes. I couldn’t remember exactly where it was. I just know generally the area, and passing by it a million times but it’s been years since I’ve been there. I was really impressed with the macaron flavors. For instance, the red velvet actually tasted like a red velvet cake. Green tea tasted like green tea. Lavender tasted like lavender (and was a pretty purple once you bite in!).

Tres Delicious — August 28, 2011 @ 5:14 am

Amazing macarons. I like the designs, it’s cool and creative.