|Margarita Jello Shots || || |
Prep time: 30 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 box of lime jello mix
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of margarita (I bought margarita mix with tequila already added)
- 10 limes
- Half the limes. Make sure you cut lengthwise across the lime or else this won't work. (See photo above). Most people cut limes across the mid section, but these need to be cut like as if you were making orange or apple slices.
- Once you cut them in half, use a pairing knife to cut a circle between the lime and the peel to help loosen the insides of the lime. Then use your fingers to remove all the flesh. It's easiest if you can dig in deep enough past the flesh and where that thin layer of skin is between the peel and the flesh to cleanly remove all the flesh. It took me about two limes before I figured this out, but once I did, it became easy to remove them.
- To prepare the jello, mix the powder with the boiling water first and then add in the margarita. Pour or spoon the mixture into the empty lime shells. You may have some jello leftover.
- You will want to make sure your limes are sitting on a surface that they won't spill over. I put mine in my muffin pan. Then place in fridge, and let it refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, cut each of the lime peels in half to get the look of the slices. Use a sharp knife, gently cut across the jello section and then firmly cut through the peel in one movement to help keep the jello intact. Jello will begin to melt after an hour or so depending on how warm it is, so you want to serve these immediately.
Recipe by Kirbie's Cravings | A San Diego food blog at http://kirbiecravings.com/2011/08/margarita-jello-shots.html