Monday, December 26, 2011

Buddha’s hand

During a recent trip to the Fruit Shop, I picked up a Buddha’s hand. One look and I immediately knew what it was because I’ve read about it before on other food blogs.

But this was my first time up close and personal with one and I was pretty excited. The one I got wasn’t as gnarly looking as some I’ve seen on other blogs, but it’s still pretty interesting to look at. Actually the shape reminded me of chicken feet.

Buddha’s hand is popular in Chinese and Japanese culture. It’s a citrus fruit, usually used for garnish or zest and also candied. The skin is quite thick and the citrus fragrance is strong. There is no real fruit flesh inside; instead it is all skin and rind.

The fruit is sometimes given as an offering at Buddhist temples, and they prefer the “closed fingers” ones like the one I bought because it resembles the hands praying.

I haven’t quite decided what I’ll do with mine. Probably try a mix of different things and see how I like using it best.

10 Responses to “Buddha’s hand”

Carol — December 26, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

Walter Anderson has these trees and I almost bought one this season but I didn’t know what to do with these fruits other than give them away. I’ll be interested to see what you do with it!

• Kirbie replied: — December 28th, 2011 @ 1:16 am

I think I would only want to deal with one or two so I can understand why you wouldn’t want a whole tree of these.

caninecologne — December 26, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

That’s a really interesting looking fruit. I’ve seen some really wild looking ones. Looking forward to your post on how you prepared this.

• Kirbie replied: — December 28th, 2011 @ 1:15 am

I was a little disappointed this one wasn’t more open and crazy looking. Time to do some experimenting now

Ann P. — December 27, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

What an interesting fruit! It may make a nice citrus curd? I don’t know, I’ve never heard of this fruit until now!

• Kirbie replied: — December 28th, 2011 @ 1:14 am

That’s a good idea!

Dina — December 28, 2011 @ 10:34 am

how about making cookies or fruitcake? it would be fun to candy your own.

• Kirbie replied: — December 28th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Cookies sounds like a good idea. I haven’t made fruitcake before. My family doesn’t really like it

Catty Critic — January 2, 2012 @ 8:50 pm

I’m a little creeped out by this fruit. It’s very…alien looking.

• Kirbie replied: — January 2nd, 2012 @ 11:40 pm