Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Breakfast Burrito Cups

Sausage, cheese, eggs, served on a piece of tortilla and wrapped up in a cute to-go form. I present to you breakfast burrito cups.

It’s been a while since I made a breakfast cup creation. Over the long weekend, I made these breakfast burrito cups. I actually got the idea from one of my readers, Sandy, when she left a comment suggesting I try a burrito cup.

First I thought about regular burritos, but I wanted to incorporate an egg and regular burrito cups don’t usually have eggs. So then I thought to make breakfast burritos. I like sausages, cheese and eggs in mine. But you can add other ingredients as well.

It’s hard to see, but the bottom of the cup is made of a flour tortilla. The egg white of the whole egg helps bind the cup together. These are really easy to make and very tasty.

Here are the rest of my breakfast cup series:

Breakfast Burrito Cups

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 20 mins

Total Time: 35 mins

4 eggs
1 flour tortilla
4 precooked breakfast sausage links
4 tbsp shredded cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray muffin pan molds.
2. Take flour tortilla and cut rounds slightly bigger than size of muffin molds. I used a biscuit cutter to make the indents and then used a knife to cut through. Line bottom of muffin molds with the tortilla rounds. The rounds should be slightly bigger than the bottom of the muffin molds (see above photo).
3. Slice precooked sausages into small pieces. I sliced mine about 1/3 inch thick. Add a few pieces of sausage to each cup, about 4 (this may vary depending on the size of your sausage pieces. Attempt to line up sausages so that they form a circle where the egg yolk can sit in the middle and hold the egg yolk stable. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of shredded cheese over sausages.
4. Crack an egg on top, carefully guiding the egg yolk to the middle which should be supported by sausages to help keep the egg yolk in place. Try to not place the entire amount of egg white in. I always leave a little out or else the egg white takes a long time to cook and your egg yolk might overcook.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes until egg whites are fully cooked and egg yolk reaches desired doneness.

10 Responses to “Breakfast Burrito Cups”

Dennis — February 22, 2012 @ 7:03 am

I can probably put down all four of those! Looks great..

• Kirbie replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 9:43 am

They are small and easy to eat a few. The pesky cholesterol factor with egg yolks is all that kept me from making and eating more.

Sandy — February 22, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Kirbie, you did it! I’d like to try this with chorizo instead of breakfast sausage. How do you think corn tortillas would do?

• Kirbie replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 9:42 am

I think chorizo is a great idea. I don’t usually have any in the house though which is why I stuck to sausages. I think corn tortillas can work though they are a little thicker so I’m wondering if the egg white is enough to to bind it, but I think it should work because the flour ones held together very well.

Connie — February 22, 2012 @ 8:10 am

What a great idea! Maybe you can use can make a variation with cooked chorizo and top with a little tomato salsa. Looks great.

• Kirbie replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 9:43 am

Haha, that was actually Sandy’s original suggestion! I love chorizo but I usually get it when I’m out dining and I never have any in the house. I should correct that.

Carol — February 22, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

Looks like delicious little bites!

• Kirbie replied: — February 23rd, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I really liked them!

Natalie — April 6, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

I made these for my parents and sister (im 13) and we ate them in seconds! I LOVE this recipe. But instead of using regular size muffin tins I used the mini kind!

• Kirbie replied: — April 8th, 2013 @ 9:52 am

Glad you like them. I’m surprised you were able to fit everything into the mini muffin tins!