Friday, July 6, 2012

Brownies with Greek Yogurt

After successfully making the fudgy chocolate cake using Greek yogurt and fudgy chocolate cookies, I wanted to try making a healthier brownie using Greek yogurt.

This actually is not one of those posts where I excitedly tell you about my new finding. I made a few versions of the brownies, trying to play around with the ratio of ingredients, but unfortunately, I haven’t gotten a version I’m completely satisfied with.

Don’t get me wrong. These are edible. But they don’t taste as good as regular brownies, and have a slightly sour sweet aftertaste I’m not fond of. When I tried changing the ratio of yogurt and water, I ended up with a really rubbery version.

So this is more one of those posts where I’m asking if anyone has any ideas or has successfully accomplished a greek yogurt substitute in brownie mix. This version is okay. It’s fudgy, chocolatey, but has a little bit of a sour aftertaste. FH didn’t even really notice so maybe I’m just more sensitive to the taste. Maybe next time I’ll add an egg to give it a little bit of fat.

Greek Yogurt Brownies

1 box of your favorite brownie mix
1/2 cup plain, nonfat, Greek strained yogurt
amount of water called for on box

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or line 9 x 13 pan. Combine all ingredients into a bowl and stir until very few lumps remain. Pour batter into pan. Bake according to time on instructions. Let brownies set and cool before slicing and serving.

13 Responses to “Brownies with Greek Yogurt”

Roma — July 6, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Hi! I used 2 egg whites and substituted the required oil with an equal amount of greek yogurt instead. It worked very well. Good luck!

• Kirbie replied: — July 6th, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m excited to try it out.

Kim — January 29, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

I just made these with the 2 egg whites as suggested above and it turned out very yummy! Also, my Greek yogurt happened to be vanilla.

• Kirbie replied: — January 29th, 2013 @ 1:52 pm

Okay thanks for letting me know! i haven’t yet tried it with the egg whites but I plan on doing it soon!

Camille — February 10, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Tried this recipe using, Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix, 18 Ounce Box

Chose to use Fage Fruyo, vanilla Greek yogurt for substituting the oil called for in the recipe, it is a little sweeter and less tart than most Greek yogurt.

I also substituted original egg beaters for eggs and kept the water called for in the recipe the same.

The first time I made the recipe, they turned out a little drier than usual, more like a muffin. They were also not as sweet. But over all they were pretty good to nix a craving.

The second time I made them, I prepared them the same way, but I chopped up 6 mini Reeses peanut butter cups and folded them in the batter in the pan. I also baked them for a few less minutes. By adding the peanut butter cups, it helped make up for some of the sweetness, and baking them less helped them retain some of the moisture.

Obviously adding the peanut butter cups puts some of the fat back into the brownies

Try and experiment :)

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 9:55 am

Thanks! I do need to experiment with this one again

michelle — July 16, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

For all banking with greek I prefer to use the honey or vanilla greek yogurt instead of plain. It takes the sour out.

• Kirbie replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

thanks for the tip. That makes a lot of sense! Will try that next time

Taylor — August 19, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

Hi! I wanted to make lowfat brownies, and I made mine with Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate mix. I used 3/8 cup Fage greek yogurt, and 3 tbsp. egg whites… but I also added some unsweetened apple sauce to even out the tartness. The flavor of my brownies was very good! However they were a little bit cake like.

• Kirbie replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:36 am

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Dana D — August 26, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

This is always a favorite thing for me to make. I added a little bit of vanilla protein powder, a few carob chips and walnuts. It came out amazing and is a great healthy snack.

Eddie Gosset — November 14, 2013 @ 2:52 am

I’m totally new to this, but after reading about the sour aftertaste experience, i had to share.
    I read about a dessert using Greek yogurt, cocoa powder and sweetener, and you can imagine, it was bitter.

I had also seen the instructions for making the same recipe but as ice cream, and it called for vanilla extract.

I tried it in my chocolate yogurt the second time, and voila!
    no bitter aftertaste.

Maybe you could add some vanilla extract to this recipe?

• Kirbie replied: — November 14th, 2013 @ 3:30 pm