Keurig K-Cup and Blueberry coffee cake muffins
A few weeks ago I made these really delicious blueberry coffee cake cookies. They were actually inspired by a blueberry coffee k-cup flavor I had just drank. I’ve always loved blueberries but I never thought blueberry would pair so well with coffee.
I also made a few blueberry coffee cake muffins just in case the cookies didn’t work out. The blueberry coffee cake muffins went so well with the coffee too. Because of the sweetness of the cake, I didn’t feel the need to add any sugar into my blueberry coffee, and the blueberry flavor in the coffee was enhanced by the blueberries in the muffins.
We’ve gotten a lot of new toys in the kitchen since our wedding. And one of my favorites has been the Keurig Brewer, a single cup brewing machine, which brews coffees, teas, juices. The Keurig machine actually was not a wedding gift but arrived around the same time so I like to lump it with the wedding toys. I was contacted by Green Mountain Coffee to try out the brewer and be part of their K Cup Ambassador Program.
For months, DH had been telling me how his work was using the Keurig machine. He’d point it out when we were at William Sonoma, or Costco, or anywhere else it was on display. When he explained it to me, I didn’t really understand the appeal at first. But now I’m hooked.
I like having guests over just so I can offer them coffee. And they’ve all enjoyed it as well, oohing and ahhing over my machine. So why do I love my Keurig machine?
1. Minimal clean-up. No more setting up, measuring out grounds and throwing away a wet and soppy filter. Everything is contained in this tiny k-cup. All you do is turn on your system, pop the k-cup inside and it’s ready to brew. Throw away the tiny cup when you’re done.
2. Variety. There are over 200 varieties! I like having variety when it comes to food and drinks. When I make coffee at home, I always have to stick to one or two flavors until I finish the bag. But with K-Cups, I can choose a different flavor everyday. I still get excited deciding which flavor I’m in the mood for. Also k-cups are produced by many different brands, including Starbucks, Emeril, Newman’s Own, Dunkin Donuts, just to name a few.
3. Super Quick. It takes less than a minute to brew a cup of coffee. My device also has three settings, so you can brew a small cup, medium cup, or large thermos sized cup. We even use it now when we want some hot water for other stuff.
4. Not Just Coffee. For your non-coffee drinking guests, they don’t just make k-cup coffees. They also make hot cocoa, apple cider, tea, juices. Also there is an ice coffee k-cup flavor already mixed with cream and sugar. Okay ice coffee is still coffee, but I put it here because it’s something that’s a little different.
Along with the machine, we’ve been getting sampler packs of k-cups once a month. DH came up with the great idea to put the k-cups on display on our old spice rack. I’ve been told there will be some giveaway opportunities in the future, so I hope I can share some gifts with you in the future. So far though, I have gotten a 15% promo code off of k-cups if you already have a machine and need to buy more.
My favorite accessory has been the stainless steel thermos. I’ve collected a lot of travel mugs throughout the years and this is my absolute favorite one. It keeps my coffee warm longer, it doesn’t leak (it’s not guaranteed spill proof, but so far it’s been leak free whereas my other mugs leak every time coffee gets sloshed up), and it has an easy mouth spout piece that only opens when you press on the button, so it’s closed the rest of the time.
So far my favorite flavors are the Green Mountain Blueberry Coffee and the Donut Shop Coffee. I like the blueberry one because of the blueberry flavor and the Donut Shop Coffee is just the right strength amount for me. Not too weak, not too strong. Just a good cup of coffee.
You can learn more about the Keurig system here. And the promo code for 15% off is: GMN8169. It’s good on k-cup variety packs and expires October 3, 2012.
Please note, as explained above, my Keurig machine and the Kcups I’ve been receiving are complimentary. However, I have not been compensated for this review and my opinions are my own.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
For the muffins:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Additional blueberries for topping
For the streusel
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2, Beat 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture and milk to batter and beat until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of blueberries.
3. Fill cupcake cups about 2/3 full with batter.
4. Make streusel. Combine all ingredients into food processor and mix or use a fork, until mixture becomes crumbly. Sprinkle streusel generously across each muffin. Take additional blueberries and place a few on top of each muffin, press gently into the dough so that the blueberries don't fall out.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes until a golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Adapted from All Recipes
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!