Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mushroom Pizzas

I made this appetizer in anticipation of Labor Day weekend. It’s super easy and tasty. It’s also a great way to enjoy pizza while cutting down on the carbs.

It’s best to use larger mushrooms so you have more surface area to work with. Costco sells the oversized mushrooms for a really good price. I used brown bella mushrooms.

I got the idea after seeing it on Table for Two’s instagram. I’ve also seen versions with zucchini and other vegetables.

I always get mushrooms on my pizza, so this was the best of both worlds. If you let them cool a little, you can easily pop these into your mouth in one bite. I was worried the soup that pooled up from the cooked mushrooms might be a problem, but it still tasted delicious with it.

Mushroom pizzas

Shredded mozzarella cheese
mini pepperonis
oversized mushrooms

Preheat oven to 350F. Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Fill mushrooms with shredded cheese and top with 3-4 mini pepperonis. Place on baking sheet. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes until mushrooms are cooked. Serve immediately.

14 Responses to “Mushroom Pizzas”

Christine — September 4, 2012 @ 11:39 pm

I love mushroom and pepperoni! Where did you get such cute mini pepperonis?

• Kirbie replied: — September 5th, 2012 @ 8:08 am

I love how cute the mini ones are too. I get mine at Vons, they are with the other regular pepperoni.

caninecologne — September 5, 2012 @ 5:50 am

I love how easy this is and how there’s no carbs! I’ve gotta try this. Where do you get your mini pepperonis?

• Kirbie replied: — September 5th, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Hi CC- I get mine at Vons. They are in the same section as the regular pepperoni.

Jinxi — September 5, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

Looks delicious – I’m going to try this with summer squash, as well.

Julie @ Table for Two — September 5, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

hilarious! mine’s posting on friday!! haha :)

• Kirbie replied: — September 5th, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

Haha, nice! can’t wait to see yours!

Mushrooms Canada — September 21, 2012 @ 5:11 am

A picture-perfect treat! I will be putting these out this weekend for my BBQ!!

-Shannon

• Kirbie replied: — September 21st, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Thanks! I love eating them and they are a much less guilty appetizer to munch on!

Kelly @ Inspired Edibles — September 21, 2012 @ 7:42 am

I first thought the mini pepperonis were dots of sauce and I couldn’t figure out how you got the sauce to behave so well! ;-) . What a fun idea for a nibble – looks great too!

• Kirbie replied: — September 21st, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Oh haha. Yeah I haven’t figured out how to get sauce to behave that well!

srishti — July 15, 2013 @ 5:59 am

I’ve tried this recipe and would like to offer some tips.

1.Adding salt and pepper to the cheese helps a lot.Maybe that’s self explanatory but in my first try I made it without them and it was really bland.If you’re feeling adventurous a bit of oregano helps.

2.Do NOT grease/spray the baking tray.I’m a novice with mushrooms and didn’t realize greasing the tray tends to make them soggy.

3. It works well with ham and salami.In case the pepperoni/cold meat is too big for the mushroom or the mushroom is too small you can make a double layer with mushroom-meat-cheese-meat-cheese.

4.Also putting a small piece of meat in the mushroom with the cheese helps.It allows the cheese to absorb the salt of the cold meat.

All in all, an easy recipe for novice cooks.Takes very little time (depending on your oven’s pre-heating time).It took me 30 mins,took my friend 20 mins.microwave version would be a great idea for college students.

srishti — July 15, 2013 @ 6:07 am

5.Also in glassware it needs another 10 ins to brown completely.

6.Keep bigger mushrooms towards the edges if you’re cooking for a bigger group or with different sized leftovers

• Kirbie replied: — July 15th, 2013 @ 7:39 am

thanks for sharing your experience!