We recently revisited Carnitas’ Snack Shack with some friends. The pork-centric restaurant is a popular request when we have friends visiting from out of town. I am eagerly anticipating the opening of their second spot later this summer.

On this recent visit, in addition to the popular regular items, we also saw some BBQ dishes from their Smokehouse Kings mobile business.

Steak Sando

I’ve heard good things about the steak sandwich, but I’ve never tried it until now. It one of the few non-pork dishes on the menu. We found the shredded steak to be juicy and flavorful. It was a solid sandwich choice, though I wasn’t necessarily blown away by it.

Smoked Ribs

Since the owners of Carnitas have a side BBQ business, Smokehouse Kings, we thought we’d try the daily ribs special. While the ribs were tender, the smoky flavor wasn’t quite as strong as I’d like. This was our least favorite.

Pork Belly App

No matter how many times I’ve come here and how many dishes I’ve tried, the signature Pork Belly App remains my favorite dish. I love the sweet and spicy glaze, the melt-in-your mouth slab of pork belly, and the apple slaw. Once again, the dish did not disappoint.

We had a good time here even though we weren’t as fond of the ribs. It still remains one of our favorite spots in San Diego.

Carnitas’ Snack Shack
2632 University Avenue
San Diego, CA 92104

10 Responses to “Carnitas’ Snack Shack”

1. leanne — June 17, 2014 at 8:48 am

I haven’t been to Carnitas Snack Shack in so long, but I miss that pork belly app! I’m super sad that they’re planning to open in Del Mar when I no longer work up there!!

• Kirbie replied: — June 17th, 2014 @ 10:49 am

aw =( i hate it when things open up after i leave a spot too. I’m excited for a second location, hopefully the spread will mean less crowds, though the wait wasnt too bad on our last visit

2. Janice D. — June 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Yum!  I totally agree with you, Kirb, about the pork belly app. It’s a must when we visit Carnitas. I always think, man, this would go well with steamed rice, haha!

• Kirbie replied: — June 18th, 2014 @ 12:47 am

haha, that’s funny you say that because one of my friends was saying that it really reminded her of Asian flavors and I never quite realized it until then. But yeah, it totally would go well with some steamed rice!

3. Mary — June 19, 2014 at 7:31 am

I only went here once and we weren’t blown away by the things we tried, though we didn’t try the pork belly. It looks so good though and I want to love Carnitas Snack Shack – maybe that will be the thing to try next time!

• Kirbie replied: — June 19th, 2014 @ 10:59 am

some of the stuff is hit or miss for me but i really love the pork belly app

4. Carlos — July 14, 2014 at 5:06 pm

The Smoked Ribs looks amazing. It’s been a while since I been to CSS. It’s time for me to go back again

• Kirbie replied: — July 14th, 2014 @ 11:52 pm

they will have a new location in a few months!

5. jeff — July 15, 2014 at 9:08 am

Would you have any clue for a recipe for this pork belly? I love the glaze on this pork belly. I am fairly sure that the pork belly is braised.

• Kirbie replied: — July 15th, 2014 @ 11:44 pm

sorry i don’t know. i believe it is braised but no clue as to the recipe