Low Calorie Blueberry Muffins and a Giveaway
Is there anything better than a freshly baked blueberry muffin? How about one that is only 122 calories?
I recently made these low calorie blueberry muffins, replacing sugar with Born Sweet® Zing™ Baking Blend. Zing™ Baking Blend is made with a combination of stevia leaf extract and pure cane sugar and has only 5 calories per serving. It bakes and browns just like sugar but with fewer calories.
I’m always looking for clever ways to cut down on calories, especially since I bake so often and consume so many of my baked goods, so I was definitely curious to see how well Zing™ Baking Blend would work.
My low calorie muffins baked up just like my regular muffins. They rose beautifully and had golden tops just like they should. Appearance-wise, I didn’t see any difference.
And they tasted great too: fluffy, soft, bursting with fresh blueberry juices. I can never resist a blueberry muffin straight out of the oven. I nearly burned my mouth digging into one of these, but it was worth it. And I was able to eat the whole thing without feeling guilty! Okay, who am I kidding?! I actually had two right away. It might be three by the time I finish writing this.
Because these are meant to be low calorie, these are not your super-sweet, covered in streusel type of muffin. These are light and sweet and just enough to satisfy those cravings for a baked good without going overboard.
I was provided with a 20 oz. canister of Zing™ Baking Blend. I’ve seen it at Walmart and Amazon. You can use it in most baking recipes, by using about half the amount of Zing™ Baking Blend for the amount of sugar a recipe calls for, so this canister actually goes a long way. I especially love the easy pour spout, which is less messy than scooping ingredients from a bag.
I’ll definitely be experimenting more with some of my other recipes. You can learn more about Zing™ Baking Blend on their website.
I don’t normally provide a nutritional breakdown for my recipes, but since I keep discussing the calorie count, I did have the recipe analyzed through My Fitness Pal and here is the information:
Low Calorie Blueberry Muffins
- 1/2 cup Zing™ Baking Blend
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake/muffin liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together Zing™ Baking Blend and egg until combined. Add in remaining ingredients except blueberries and whisk until batter is smooth. Stir in 1 cup of blueberries.
3. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with batter. Drop a few of the remaining blueberries on top of each muffin.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes until muffins are puffy and knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let muffins cool before eating.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!
$100 Gift Card Giveaway
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 10/6/2015 – 10/31/2015