Friday, May 21, 2010
I love baking with pandan because the cakes come out this beautiful light green. I found a recipe for coconut and pandan muffins from Melting Wok that looked good and decided to try it out.
These are definitely "muffins" and not cupcakes. They aren't that sweet and the batter rises up and cracks on the top, which I love. These make a great morning treat and the colors are perfect for summer. They are really easy to whip up too.
Pandan Coconut Muffins (adapted from Melting Wok)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Pandan extract
70 ml cooking oil
90 ml coconut milk
150 ml water
12 muffin/cupcake liners
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Line paper cups on a muffin tray, set aside.
2) In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs, add water, coconut milk, oil, pandan extract, salt, sugar, baking powder and mix well.
3) Sieve the flour, and slowly pour into the mixture, mix well, and set aside.
4) Scoop the muffin mixture onto the muffin cups until 2/3 full.
5) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a light brown crust appear or cracks out of the muffin top.
Friday, May 21, 2010
I recently bought an ice cream maker. To prove to myself that it was a good investment, I've been trying to use it as much as possible. So far, I've shied away from the custard based recipes because they require a bit more work. I'll get there eventually.
Anyway, I made some mango ice cream the other day. I love mango ice cream. I really enjoyed this one because of the natural flavors. I really dislike the artificial mango taste that is sometimes found in mango ice creams. I kind of came up with my own recipe. Luckily it worked out!
Mango Ice Cream
2 cups frozen mangoes, cubed.
1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste if your mangoes aren't that sweet)
1 cup heavy cream
1. Mix mangos, sugar and heavy cream in a food processor.
2. Pour mixture into ice cream maker, following manufacturer's directions
I sliced up some mango pieces to add to the ice cream. So far, I'm really enjoying my ice cream maker.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Hello Once Again Everyone! Boyfriend here!
It's that day again, Casual Friday! No? Well, maybe you can enjoy these fun photos. Of course we were in our neighborhood grocery store and browsing the sweets and I had to take pictures. I'm not a marketing guy, but the way the product is presented isn't as appetizing to me. How about for you?
This flavor is a little more appetizing, if you like wet Cheetos.
Something about ninjas makes me smile and this actually made me laugh. I'm imagining different flavors of ninjas each with some sort of food piece on their foreheads. "Sssshhhh, cheesy…"
Hope you enjoyed the photos and have happy Friday!