This weekend I made lasanga cups. Because everything is cuter when it’s a mini and tastes better too. My brother hovered over me the whole time wanting to snag one before I took my pictures.
What’s funny is that I’ve never made my own lasagna before, but after making these lasagna cups, I realize how easy it is to make lasagna.
I’ve seen lasagna cups before but all the recipes use wonton wrappers instead of lasagna noodles. I don’t know about you, but my favorite part of lasagna is the chewy thick noodle. So I can’t imagine eating a lasagna without the noodles. It seems like a fake-out.
So I set about making my own. Using lasagna noodles does take slightly more effort than wonton wrappers, but I think it’s worth the effort. I worried the noodles wouldn’t hold their cup shape so I stuck them in cupcake liners. But it turns out I didn’t need to because the noodles actually hold their shape quite well.
Lasagna cups are pretty easy to assemble. All you need is some marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and lasagna noodles.
Since the lasagna noodles are hard, they do need a quick boil so that you can shape them into the cupcake pan. I didn’t cook them all the way, just a few minutes so that I could bend the noodles without them breaking.
The tops of the noodles that weren’t exposed to any sauce got very crispy in the oven. It actually made these even better. The crispy skin made these taste like fun little appetizers rather than a full lasagna meal.
- 1 box of store bought lasagna noodles
- marinara sauce
- ricotta cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- Boil 10 lasagna noodle sheets in a medium sauce pan, for about 2-3 minutes each so that the noodles soften but are not completely cooked. You may want to do the noodle sheets one at a time so that they don’t stick to each other.
- Take five of the noodle sheets and cut in half. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners or spray with pam spray.
- Line bottoms of 10 molds with the noodle sheets that have been cut in half. Try to mold the noodles to take the shape of the cupcake mold.
- Add a spoonful of marinara sauce to the bottom of each cup. Then add a spoonful of ricotta cheese. Then sprinkle some mozzarella cheese.
- Take the remaining 5 noodle sheets and cut into four pieces. Place another layer of noodles onto each cup using these smaller noodles. Then repeat with marinara sauce and mozzarella. Repeat with last layer.
- Bake in oven preheated to 350F for about 10-15 minutes.