Nutella Crack Brownies
So I sort of made up the name for this dessert. The other day I thought of trying to make really intense nutella brownies. And then I remembered these Better Than Crack Brownies I previously made that includes a layer of crispy rice covered in chocolate.
I took a ridiculously easy nutella brownie recipe I previously made, and decided to intensify it by adding a layer of crunchy rice covered in nutella. These were amazing. Actually the brownies were pretty amazing on their own and quite pretty and I almost didn’t want to cover them up.
It’s odd. When I first came across the nutella brownie recipe, everyone made it into little mini muffins. They ended up tasting more like a cake than a brownie and so I called mine mini nutella cakes. But this time when I put them in a brownie pan, they tasted fudgier and even looked like brownies, with the top getting all crackly and shiny (something that didn’t happen when I made them into individual mini muffins). Next time I might make these brownies just by themselves. But the extra layer does add a nice crunch and more nutella. Yum.
You can’t have too much nutella right? I hope not because I’ve been eating a ton…
So the name comes partially from the brownies that inspired them, partially because they are addicting, and partially because they are brownies topped with a crackly/crunchy rice.
The nutella brownie base recipe comes from Desserts 4 Today: Flavorful Desserts with Just Four Ingredients by Abby Dodge.
|Nutella Crack Brownies||
- For the brownies
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 large eggs
- 10 tablespoons all purpose flour
- For the Nutella crunch
- 2 cups of rice krispies
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the brownies. Place the Nutella and eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and well blended. Add the flour and whisk until blended.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 9 baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes until a knife inserted comes out almost clean with just a few crumbs clinging.
- While the brownies are baking, make the crunch. First microwave the nutella in a glass bowl for about 30 seconds to one minute to make it easier to mix. Add in the cereal and mix thoroughly until cereal is covered with nutella.
- Once brownies are out of the oven, spread the crunch evenly on top of the brownies.
- Let brownies cool completely and set before serving.