Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Garlic parmesan smashed potatoes is an easy side dish to make. They take only ten minutes to prep and they come out the oven soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
Smashed potatoes are my new favorite way to make potatoes. They are so easy to prepare: no need to peel, slice, dice, or mash. They are only very lightly smashed, which I find to be far easier. Unlike mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes don’t require any peeling or a bunch of other ingredients. All you need is a few simple ingredients, a hot oven, and a sheet pan to get creamy-on-the-inside and crispy-on-the-outside potatoes. It’s a super easy potato side dish!
- I like to use baby Dutch potatoes because they have a creamy texture after they’re cooked.
- You’ll want to boil the potatoes first until they’re fork tender.
- While the potatoes boil you can make the garlic and olive oil mixture. You will brush it over the top of the smashed potatoes before they go in the oven.
- Place the boiled potatoes on a sheet pan and use a potato masher to smoosh them. I lightly smash them because they don’t need to be completely flat. Brush them with the olive oil and garlic and the uneven tops will get extra crispy as they bake!
- Bake them for about 18 minutes and then sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top. Leave them in the oven for a few minutes or until the cheese has melted.
The potatoes come out very flavorful and make a delicious side dish. I love that they are soft and creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside combining the best of both worlds. I also love the garlic parmesan flavors, but you could easily customize the potatoes with different herbs and cheese or switch out the olive oil for butter.
- 2 lb baby dutch potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash potatoes and then place into a large pot and fill with enough water to completely cover potatoes. Cover pot with a lid and bring water to a boil. Leave lid partially uncovered and boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Remove potatoes from water.
Preheat oven to 450°F. Cover a large baking sheet pan with foil. Spray surface with a cooking oil spray. Place cooked potatoes onto sheet pan.
Using a potato masher, press down on the potatoes so that they flatten but are still in one piece.
In a small bowl, mix together garlic and olive oil. Brush tops of potatoes with olive oil and garlic, evenly dividing the garlic among the potatoes. You may need to scoop some of the garlic onto the potatoes.
Roast potatoes for about 18 minutes or until tops start to turn golden brown and crispy. Set your oven to a low broil and broil potatoes for about 3-5 minutes to further crisp up the skin. When potatoes are about 1 minute from reaching desired crispness, sprinkle tops with cheese and place back into the oven for an additional 1 minute (still at a low broil) or until cheese is melted. Remove potatoes from oven. Garnish with parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let potatoes cool slightly before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Amount Per Serving (0.13 of recipe)
Calories 133 Calories from Fat 53
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5.9g 9%
Saturated Fat 1.1g 6%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.9g
Cholesterol 1.4mg 0%
Sodium 50.2mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 18.4g 6%
Dietary Fiber 2.8g 11%
Protein 2.7g 5%
Vitamin C 18%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.