- 1/2 cup rolled oats (see note)
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup nonfat milk you can use any milk
- 1 tbsp cacao powder (see note)
- 1 -2 tbsp honey or to taste
- 1 tbsp chia seeds optional
In a glass jar, add all ingredients. (To determine the amount of milk to use, I found that 1/2 cup was just the right amount to cover and soften all the oats, but with very little liquid leftover the next morning. I like my oats this way but if you prefer runnier oats with some liquid leftover, I suggest adding 2/3 cup milk.) Mix everything together with a spoon until combined. You can taste and add more sweetener as needed. Since I add fresh fruit to mine in the morning, I prefer to keep the sugar level low.
Seal jar and store in refrigerator for at least a few hours, but preferably overnight. Eat the next morning as is or with fresh fruit. You can also prepare up to a week's worth ahead of time.
- I like the Bob's Red Mill old fashioned or extra thick oats.
- You can also use cocoa powder but it's not as nutritious as cacao.
Chocolate Overnight Oats
Amount Per Serving (1 jar)
Calories 420 Calories from Fat 42
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1.4g9%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.1g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.3g
Vitamin C 0.8mg1%
Net Carbs 68g136%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.