- 3 tbsp superfine almond flour (see note)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour (see note)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (see note)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (see note)
- 2 fresh strawberries diced
Whipped coconut cream
- 1 (13-oz) can chilled coconut cream (refrigerate can overnight for best results)
- 1 tsp sweetener of your coice
In a microwave-safe mug, add all ingredients except strawberries. For the coconut cream, when you open the can, the top should be solid coconut cream and the bottom should be a clear liquid. You want to add 1 tbsp of each to your batter. Whisk you batter with a small whisk until smooth.
Gently stir in strawberries.
Cook cake for about 2 minutes or until cake is done. Allow cake to cool a few minutes before adding the whipped coconut cream.
To make whipped coconut cream, remove only the solid cream portion from can (you can save the clear portion for a smoothie or other recipe) and add into a bowl of a stand mixer. Add about 1 tsp of liquid sweetener of your choice. Whisk on high speed until peaks form. Pipe some onto cake. Store remaining cream in the fridge, which can be used for other desserts or serve with strawberries.
- I use this brand* of almond flour.
- I use this brand* of coconut flour.
- Commercial baking powder is not paleo so you may need to make your own homemade paleo baking powder if you are following a paleo diet.
- I use this brand* of coconut cream.
- You can use the same can of coconut cream for the cake and the whipped cream.
- Make sure you use 1 tbsp of the solid cream and 1 tbsp of the clear liquid for the cake batter. Adding only the solid cream will make the cake oily and adding only the clear liquid will make the cake dry.
- One can of coconut cream will make enough whipped cream to top on several cakes. It is difficult to whip only a small amount of cream, which is why it's better to make a larger amount and store the rest for later or for serving with fresh strawberries.
- Do not leave out the coconut flour or try to substitute with almond flour. The coconut flour absorbs a lot of the liquid which almond flour can't. The coconut flour also helps create a fluffy texture.
- *Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- Nutrition estimate does not include the whipped coconut cream topping.
Strawberries and Cream Mug Cake (Paleo, Gluten Free)
Amount Per Serving (1 mug cake)
Calories 386 Calories from Fat 234
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26g 40%
Saturated Fat 12g 60%
Cholesterol 186mg 62%
Sodium 91mg 4%
Potassium 500mg 14%
Total Carbohydrates 27g 9%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 13g 26%
Vitamin A 5.4%
Vitamin C 18.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.