- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 ½ lb flank steak cut against the grain into thin strips between 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch wide
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 ½ tbsp cornstarch + 3 tbsp water
- 3 green scallions thinly sliced
Add oil and garlic to the inner pot inside your Instant Pot. Set Instant Pot to saute function. Once oil is heated, add in steak and cook until exterior of the steak strips are lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Turn off saute function.
In a medium bowl, add in brown sugar, soy sauce, water, ginger, sesame oil. Whisk until evenly mixed. Pour over beef. Seal your Instant Pot. Set it on manual mode, high pressure, for 10 minutes.
While your beef is cooking, dissolve cornstarch in the 3 tbsp of water.
When beef is done, do a quick release. Open the lid of the Instant Pot and pour in the cornstarch water. Stir immediately until it is mixed into the sauce. If you do not stir right away, your cornstarch will clump up. Set your Instant Pot on saute function again and stir until sauce has thickened (about 3 minutes). Garnish beef with scallions. Serve with rice or similar rice substitute.
- The cooking times and measurements are based on the Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker (6 Quart Version).* If you have a different version of the Instant Pot, your cooking time may vary. If you have a different size, the ingredient measurements may need to be adjusted.
- The sauce for the Mongolian beef is a little on the salty side as this dish is meant to be eaten with rice and not by itself.
- Make sure to completely dissolve the cornstarch in water before adding it to the sauce. If you try to add the cornstarch directly, it will clump up instead of thickening the sauce.
- Do the quick release rather than natural release so that you do not overcook the beef.
- Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Amount Per Serving (0.17 of recipe)
Calories 296 Calories from Fat 87
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2.8g18%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.6g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.3g
Vitamin A 50IU1%
Vitamin C 1.7mg2%
Net Carbs 24g48%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.