- 1 tbsp solid coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil (see note)
- 2 1/2 tbsp fat free milk (see note)
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sweetened coconut flakes plus additional flakes for topping
In an oversized microwave safe mug (must hold at least 12 oz), scoop in the coconut oil. Microwave for about 20 seconds and then whisk until it becomes liquid and chunks dissolve.
Add in vegetable oil. milk, coconut milk. Then add in flour, sugar and baking powder. Stir with a small whisk until batter is completely smooth. Add in coconut flakes and stir a few times.
Microwave cake for approximately 1 minute and 30 seconds. Top of cake should be dry to the touch. Careful not to cook the cake too long. Let cake cool a few minutes before serving as is, or garnishing.
For toppings, you can either use regular whipped cream and some toasted coconut flakes or you can make a coconut whipped cream (but this will need preparation ahead of time).
- I found that if you only using coconut oil, the cake comes out a little dry which is why this recipe uses both vegetable and coconut oil.
- Usually other milks work for my recipes but I found when I tried using whole milk, the recipe came out too dry so I recommend fat-free milk.