- 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs I use Kikkoman brand
- 1 extra-large egg whisked
- 1 tsp fresh chopped cilantro optional garnish
for the glaze
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water + 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup tequila I used reposado
- 2 tbsp triple sec
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice + 1 tsp fresh lime juice
Preheat oven to 400°F. Dip chicken pieces in egg and then roll in bread crumbs until fully coated and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all chicken is coated. Bake for 15-20 minutes until chicken coating is a dark golden brown and is crunchy.
While chicken is cooking, make sauce on the stove. Add all sauce ingredients except the cornstarch + 1/4 cup water and 1 tsp lime juice. Bring to a low boil. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water, then add to the mixture. Stir until sauce boils again and cook until sauce becomes thick (should take less than 1 minute. you don't want to cook too long or you will evaporate all the alcohol). Turn off heat and add 1 tsp lime juice and stir in. Pour sauce on chicken right before serving. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve over rice if desired.