- 3 small spaghetti squash 2 lb each, cooked, seeds removed and sliced in half lengthwise (see note)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 small brown onion peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro leaves
- one lime sliced into wedges
HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Use a fork to scrape squash until it separates into strands. Set aside.
Add garlic, onions and ground turkey to a large skillet. Cook until ground turkey has browned, crumbling the ground turkey as you cook it. Drain out excess fat.
Sprinkle taco seasoning across turkey. Add black beans, can of tomatoes (including the liquid), 1/4 cup water and stir into the turkey mixture. Stir and cook on medium heat until everything is evenly mixed, turkey is cooked through, and sauce has thickened.
Preheat oven to 400F. Place spaghetti squash halves onto baking sheet. Top each half with taco meat and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Place squash into oven and bake for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges to be squeezed over sauce.