Turkey Taco Bowls
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 small brown onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 packet light taco seasoning or the homemade taco seasoning below
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.25-oz) can whole kernel corn drained
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 large avocado cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups raw cauliflower rice (see note)
- salt and pepper as needed
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
If using homemade taco seasoning, add all the taco seasoning ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. When cooking with the seasoning, for every 1 tbsp of seasoning used, you will also need to add 1/4 cup water to the ground meat. Store any remaining seasoning in an airtight container.
In a large skillet add garlic, onion and oil. Bring pan to medium high heat. Stir and cook until onions are halfway done and aroma of the garlic has been released. Add in ground turkey and cook until browned. Add in taco seasoning packet and water amount specified in instructions. If using the homemade taco seasoning, start with 1 tbsp+ 1/4 cup water and add more as needed. I ended up using 2 tbsp and 1/2 cup water. Stir the seasoning into the ground turkey mixture and cook until turkey is completely cooked. Drain any excess fat. (If you are using very lean ground turkey, you may not have any excess fat.)
In a separate skillet, prepare the cauliflower rice. Add in oil and bring to medium high heat. Add in cauliflower rice and season with salt and pepper as needed. Cook until cauliflower is tender.
When rice and turkey have cooled, you can package into your meal prep containers*. First, divide the cauliflower rice evenly across four containers. Add ground turkey to one side of each of the containers. Then add rows of corn, black beans and tomatoes. You can also add avocado now or you can wait until day of eating if you don't want your avocado to brown. Sprinkle cheese across or add as another row. Garnish with cilantro. You can also add lime wedges to squeeze on right before eating.
- You can buy packages of cauliflower rice or make your own by pulsing cauliflower florets in food processor until they are about twice the size of grains of rice.
- To make this low carb, omit the corn and black beans.
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Turkey Taco Bowls with Cauliflower Rice Meal Prep
Amount Per Serving (0.25 of recipe)
Calories 614 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g44%
Net Carbs 31g62%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.